5. Cedric Benson - As of right now, you can say that he is the only running back on the roster. Perry cant be counted on. Watson fell off a cliff last season. Dorsey cant stay healthy. Im sure the Bengals will draft at least one RB. But until then, Benson is our guy. and the Bengals need him to be the guy. They need more than a 3.5 yards per carry. Cedric Benson must step up and be counted on for the whole season, carry the load for the Bengals and bring life back to the running game. He needs to have 1,000 yards and 7 TDs at least.
4. Robert Geathers - The Bengals pass rush was nonexistent to say the least last season. It wasnt all Geathers fault and I know that Antwan Odom didnt do anything either. But at least we know Geathers has the pass rush ability, he recorded 10.5 sacks just 2 seasons ago. Then the Bengals gave him a huge contract and we have seen 6 sacks in 2 years. There is no way this "upcomming defense" can take the next step without a constant pass rush. and it starts with Robert Geathers. He must step up and play like the player he is being paid to be. We need at least 8 sacks from him.
3. Andrew Whitworth - Andrew is one of our best and most consistent players. But he brings alot of uncertainty comming into next season. First off, What position will he be playing on day 1? Tackle or Guard? Our guy Geoff Hobson keeps telling us that Whitworth is on the cusp on a Pro-Bowl season at LG. and Hobson believes that he can be our LT. He is is very important in how our 09 season goes, He will be leading the way to improving our rush offense and possibly protecting the blind side of the franchise. Whitworth just got his contract extension last off-season and now its time for him to step up and be a leader on this evolving offensive line and play like the All-Pro we all think he can be.
2. Johnathan Joseph - Bengals 1st round pick in 2006 has been outplayed by his cornerback counterpart Leon Hall. Joseph did have a nice season in 2007, but in 2008 he only played in 8 games, starting 7. J-Joe has the talent to be a top corner in the league and is looking for a new deal soon. If we want a improved pass rush, then we need our CBs to turn it up another notch. We are going to need Joseph to be healthy for the whole season and elevate his play into one of the best CBs in the NFL.
1. Carson Palmer - Carson Palmer is the heart and brains of the Bengals offense and the face of the franchise. Almost everything about next season rides on the right arm (elbow) of number 9. He is 9 months shy of his 30th birthday, and the clock is ticking. We all know the player Palmer is and can be. But lets not forget that in his 4 starts last season, the Bengals went 0-4 and the Offense was unbearable. He had 3 TDs and 4 Ints, with a 58% completion percentage. We all know that the O-Line was atrocious, and the running game was absent, oh and not to mention his 2 pro-bowl wide outs had exactly ZERO pre-season snaps with their QB. But besides that, he was as bad as the rest of the offense. So what we need in order for the Bengals to win next season is a rejuventated Running game, a constant Pass rush, Protection for Palmer, and a improving Defense. Palmer has already stepped up, he is working out with his WRs in California, he is "calling" the fans, and hes says hes healthy and 100% ready to go. So heres to an upright, healthy Palmer. and it will lead to a improved Cincinnati Bengals team.