I have nothing nice to say about last week that I haven't already said, so I will just say nothing at all.
Next week we have the New Orleans Saints coming for a visit. This is a game we should have a chance in... if we had a coaching staff with more than 10 brain cells combined. Talent wise they are better, but not THAT much better. Scheme-wise, however, they show just how pathetic our coaching staff is in comparison. Maybe because we truly have no chance that will mean we'll find a way to win anyway, but I just can't consider that realistic. Not unless our coaching staff grows a LOT of brain cells at warp speed in preparation and watches the Browns game a dozen times.
But we may score some points in this game. Drew Brees has been trying to carry an under-performing team at times this year, and in pressing too hard trying to make something work he's sometimes been a bit sloppy with the ball. And he has also had a lot of bad luck on tip-ball interceptions as well. So maybe we'll get an INT or two. Chris Ivory seems to have cured his fumbling issues, but they could come back at any time. And you never know week to week whether you'll face good Reggie Bush or bad Reggie Bush, so he could absolutely break our backs or hand us gift fumbles, either are completely possible. The kicking game was great in Dallas, but that was the first time ALL YEAR it was even close to that good. So we might get a blocked kick at some point. And while their defense has done a very good job against poor quarterbacks and at least decently against most of the rest, Carson is still good enough that he'll probably get at least one TD pass off at some point or another, and the run defense is still a bit weak so maybe Benson or somebody can get a TD run at some point. We've got a chance to score some points in this game at least.
So place your picks for this coming week in the comments. Scoring recap post from last week is repeated below the jump as well as the summary version of the rules. (Review the original full write-up of the rules here if you like.) Pick your player in the comments and have fun!
Once again, we played half a game. We had a decent first half that gave us hope, and a second half that was an outright disaster. At this point, I want Carolina to win two more games so we can get the #1 overall. If Luck comes out then we can draft him, or we can maybe sell him for a boatload of picks to try to rebuild our jokes of an OL and DL.
Unfortunately, unlike last week, the scoring in this game was nearly nonexistent. We had Shipley score on offense and StingRey with his INT would have scored but nobody picked him. At least the scoring will be easy to calculate this week. With only 22 legitimate entries — some people (including myself) apparently forgot to submit a pick before the game — the max points for anybody is 21.
This gives us weekly scoring of:
19 points – jimbasa (Jordan Shipley)
19 points – MCSubtext (Jordan Shipley)
19 points – The Dealio (Jordan Shipley)
19 points – Carsonorbust (Jordan Shipley)
19 points – Rockhound-11 (Jordan Shipley)
19 points – TruWhoDey (Jordan Shipley)
And this leads to an twelve week leaderboard of:
1. FriarBob – 216 points
2. CincyMike56 – 214 points
3. The Dealio – 201 points
4. Cry – 193 points
5. Purple City Middie – 190 points
6. jimbasa – 186 points
7. Mr. X – 172 points
8. James Schmid the great – 171 points
9. quickslant – 149 points
10. TruWhoDey – 141 points
11. CincinnatiCyanide88 – 138 points
12. Rocket_Man_G – 127 points
13. Jake Liscow – 122 points
14t. WHYUS!! – 120 points
14t. Throw the ball – 120 points
15. BradDwayne – 111 points
16t. the Flying Pig – 110 points
16t. Carsonorbust – 110 points
17. Jcon77 – 109 points
18. MCSubtext – 108 points
19. Alexneyer – 89 points
20. BonnieBengal – 88 points
21. duffmane – 86 points
22. BoomerEsiasonsLoveChild – 77 points
23. tafjag1 – 75 points
24t. Boomer Lion – 73 points
24t. TrickyD26 – 73 points
24t. jimmer9 – 73 points
25. Rockhound-11 – 69 points
26. TheCinWin – 67 points
27. Oregonbengalsfan – 58 points
28. Richard L – 57 points
29t. darth zalmer – 54 points
29t. Bengal mayhem – 54 points
30. emeybee – 53 points
31. whodey?? – 52 points
32t. Jaegner – 49 points
32t. ephr – 49 points
33. ritalin – 31 points
34. TCfromDubVee – 25 points
35. featherman – 12 points
Here is a quick recap of the rules.
- Pick one player (Make it easy on me, make him the title of your post. Both first and last name please, and please try to avoid nicknames or blatant misspellings.) who is NOT officially listed as a QB, P, or PK on the roster.
- An offensive score is worth one point per participant who did not pick your player.
- A defensive player is worth 2/1/0.5 point(s) per participant who did not pick your player based on if he 2) actually scored, 1) gained possession of the ball for the team but didn't actually score, or 0.5) allowed the Bengals to gain possession by causing a fumble (or blocking a kick) that another Bengals player recovered. Sacks or tackles behind the line of and by themselves are not worth anything unless they are a strip-sack (0.5 points if we recover) or they are also a safety (2 points). All half-points will be rounded down. A blocked FG is always 0.5 for the blocker, a blocked punt is the same unless the blocker is the only person (on either team) to touch the ball before it becomes a safety (in which case it becomes 2 points).
- You score the maximum possible points for your player but only one time. So a defensive player who forces an opponent's fumble that Cincinnati recovers and recovers another opponent's fumble at a different point in the game is worth 1x points (not 1.5x cumulative).
- Keep commentary to the bare minimum please.
- Predictions on how they will score are not required, and if you provide one they don't net you any bonus if you are right nor do they detract if you are wrong (so long as they do actually score by game rules).
- Try to be original yet still pick somebody you think has a realistic chance to score or cause a turnover.
- Only ONE (1) player entry per contestant, per week is allowed. Unless your first player was on the roster at the start of the week and is put on IR/cut/traded before the next week, your first comment is your player, so pick carefully.
- Deadline for player entries each week is THIRTY (30) minutes prior to kickoff.