CINCINNATI - DECEMBER 26: Jerome Simpson #89 of the Cincinnati Bengals celebrates after catching a touchdown pass during the NFL game against the San Diego Chargers at Paul Brown Stadium on December 26 2010 in Cincinnati Ohio. The Bengals 34-20. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
It feels good, doesn't it? When our Tuesday and Wednesday is filled with praising a performance worthy of being praised? First Jerome Simpson was nominated for the GMC Never Saw Never Moment of Week 16 (go here to vote). Then Carson Palmer was nominated for the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week (go here to vote).
Now both players were nominated as candidates for the AFC Players of the Week, awarded by the NFL. Carson Palmer completed 16 of 21 passes for 269 yards passing and four touchdowns, giving him a passer rating of 157.2 during the Bengals 34-20 win over the San Diego Chargers. Jerome Simpson recorded a career-high in virtually every statistical category, including six receptions for 124 yards receiving and two touchdowns.
Unfortunately, this week's award went to Kansas City Chiefs' wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, catching six passes for 153 yards receiving, including a 75-yard touchdown reception in Kansas City's 34-14 win over the Tennessee Titans.
Other nominations this week included:
- New England quarterback Tom Brady, who completed 15 of 27 passes (55.6 percent) for 140 yards with three touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 107.0 passer rating in a 34-3 win at Buffalo.
- Baltimore running back Ray Rice, who rushed for 92 yards.
- Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who completed 22 of 32 passes (68.8 percent) for 320 yards with one touchdown versus zero interceptions and a 111.5 passer rating in a 27-3 win over Carolina.
- Denver rookie quarterback Tim Tebow, who completed 16 of 29 passes (55.2 percent) for 308 yards with one touchdown versus one interception and an 89.4 passer rating in a 24-23 win against Houston. He also rushed for one touchdown.
- Pittsburgh wide receiver Mike Wallace, who had four receptions for 104 yards (26.0 average).
To round out this week's awards:
AFC Defensive Player of the Week: Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
AFC Special Teams Player of the Week: Jacoby Ford, Oakland Raiders
NFC Offensive Player of the Week: Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
NFC Defensive Player of the Week: Antoine Winfield, Minnesota Vikings
NFC Special Teams Player of the Week: Graham Gano, Washington Redskins