I was just listening to a little Sports radio today and heard one of the funnier bits about NFL training camp ever. I laughed out loud because as soon as I heard each of these, I thought of one person on the Bengals. I bet you will too as you read below!
1. The Fat Guy
Ohmigod! A lineman listed at 290 pounds showed up closer to 300! Let’s all FREAK OUT! Who could have predicted an incredibly overweight person would gain a few pounds over six months of down time? He needs to drop weight – and FAST! – to show that he is dedicated to his profession and his team.
(Then, once the season starts, he can pack as much weight as he wants to back on because no one will be weighing him so it won’t be an issue. And we need him to control the line of scrimmage. So, please, get heavy again!)
2. The Undrafted Superstar
This guy can run and jump like an Olympic superstar. For some unknown reason, he just didn’t get a lot of playing time in college. It was probably politics. But now he’s in your team’s camp and he’s going to light the NFL world on fire. A good 60-percent of the posts on team message boards are about this amazing prospect.
Oh. Turns out he didn’t play much in college because, while he can run and jump, he kind of … umm … sucks at football.
3. The Late-Round Project
Your team got this guy in the later rounds of the draft and he just has a few rough edges that need some burnishing. He could very well be your team’s missing piece – the one that makes them a legit title contender. Surely all the flaws in his game that weren’t fixed in four years of high school football and four years of college will be fixed in three weeks of training camp. Surely.
4. The White Fan Favorite
This guy is usually a combination between The Late-Round Project and The Undrafted Superstar. Except he’s white. And he probably already has sold 5,000 jerseys. But it’s not so much a racial thing, it’s just that … I don’t know … a lot of fans identify with him somehow.
It could be because chances are he’ll be just like them in a few weeks in that he also won’t be employed as an NFL football player.
5. The Veteran Who Just Wants To Win
This guy has been a featured player in the past when he was younger. But now he just wants to win. That’s why he’s taking a reduced role and less money than he’s ever made. Oddly, this decision on just wanting to win coincided with no NFL team wanting to pay him big money anymore for a featured role.
6. The “Best Shape of My Life” Guy
This player has shown up to camp in “the best shape of my life!” Hey, good for you, fella! Bad news, though – in three weeks, all the other players on the team will also be in the best shape of their lives. Looks like you wasted your offseason when you could have been having fun. Whoops.
7. The Injury Comeback
He missed most or all of last-season with a serious injury. But he’s been rehabbing non-stop in order to get back to where he was. He’s never wanted something so bad in his whole life. And the team has given him their full support. (Except for those three possible replacements they drafted.)
8. The Holdout
What a greedy a**hole this guy is. Who cares if the average NFL career lasts four years and many players suffer debilitating injuries? Take what the team is offering and get on the field! We’ve got the Titans in a month!
9. The Player Entering a Contract Year
See that guy running full-speed past everyone else who’s jogging? That’s him.
Here are my nominees
1) The fat guy -
Carson Palmer... Andre Smith. Nobody else even comes to mind other than moobalicious himself (I can't believe I just used the term moobalicious). THIS GUY HAS GOT TO GET INTO SHAPE OR HE"LL BE OUR BIGGEST BUST EVER! te-he... biggest bust...
2) The undrafted superstar - while not undrafted, Jerome Simpson fits the bill. He's Tall, fast, can jump out of the stadium. Just one problem. He sucks at football! But then again, this could be his year...
3) The late round project - Dez Briscoe come on down! Despite the fact that Briscoe ran a paltry 4.7 40, has a turtle like 32" vert, has only caught 1 pass for 11 yards this pre-season, he really did some good things in the Big 12 and is our best prospect in our WR core. I'm sure our coaches are just
not noticing hiding his talent so that nobody snatches him of the PS.
4) The white fan favorite - Oh if only Shipley hadn't been drafted then we could have given this award to Matt Jones. Matt is the perfect athlete, and once he gets over that minor
cocaine addiction scrape with the law thing, he'll transform our O! Our coaches just need to work on making him... less white looking and he'll be fine.
5) The veteran who just wants to win - there are a plethora of choices here. Who should we pick. Roy Williams, Tank Williams? Bobbie Williams? Dhani Jones? Adam Jones? Matt Jones? On second thought, lets call it a tie between Jones and Williams.
6) The best shape of my life guy -
Andre Smith Chad Ochocinco - Lucky for the Bengals, every year Chad is in the best shape of his life. Last year it was boxing and racing animals. This year, thanks to Chad's VH1 specials his sexual endurance is probably through the roof (though his football endurance was questioned a bit). Way to go Chad!
7) The injury comeback - Carson Palmer. After several years of injuries and excuses, the overachieving Palmer is now poised for a comeback and ready to go... as long as his ankle, knee, elbow, or thumb doesn't act up again this year.
8) The Holdout - See Bengals first round picks
9) Player entering a contract year - JJ and Ced - Man those guys sure can play
So those are my 9 guys. Who are yours?