Well I said that I had zero faith in our team's ability to pull off the upset, but that I would be delighted to be wrong. Guess what. I was wrong. And I'm delighted by it.
It's a pity that the local fans didn't get to see the game live, but between replay broadcasts and Game Rewind and highlight reels I suppose most fans will get to see at least part of it. That's good.
Well we've managed to right the ship back to .500 at 2-2, and we now go back on the road for a game that we really should have a legitimate shot at. Does that mean we'll find a way to suck and throw the game? I sure hope not. But it's going to be a clash of two rookie QBs and two pretty stiff defenses -- including the #1 overall (us, can you believe it? sweet!) and theirs which was ranked in the top-5 until NO shredded them on Sunday -- and anybody who thinks this is going to be anything but a defensive slug-fest is going to be ridiculed publicly. Note that I didn't say they're going to be wrong. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they weren't. But nobody will believe them if they try to predict it.
Still we have the front-four that can get after a rookie and our DBs and LBs are playing well enough that we should have a shot at a turnover or two, maybe even a defensive score or two. I doubt we'll see a game like last night (seriously now, five D/ST scores between the two teams? You gotta be kidding me!) but we ought to see at least one or two. Hopefully it's our boys doing so and not theirs! :)
I'm also going to hope that the Jaguars have by Sunday at least taught their field crew how to properly paint the arrows on the numbered yard lines before next week. Some people even accused them of doing it on purpose to try to generate extra home-field advantage. While I don't buy that, it's still an embarrassing gaffe. Hopefully it's fixed by next week.
Scoring recap post from last week is repeated below the jump as well as the summary version of the rules. (Review the original full write-up of the rules here if you like.) Pick your player in the comments and have fun!
Well, what a difference a week makes. We had another game in which we really only played one good half of football, but at least this time it was the RIGHT half, and it was good enough to erase a 14 point deficit and come out with a win. Pity that the game was blacked out locally, however. I suppose it’s better to be blacked out when you suck, but when you play well it’s a shame the fans who can’t afford to see you (or just refuse to directly support Mikey the Moron) can’t see the game.
This week we had 42 legitimate entries. Interestingly enough, despite the fact that our defense clearly was a huge component of the win, it didn’t do jack squat for us on the stat sheet. Well, correction, we did get some sacks, but of and by themselves those aren’t worth anything. Needs to be a strip-sack that we recover. And on offense, with only two TDs scored (including one by Andy just waltzing through the middle of some Bills defenders who looked like they were wondering if they play was over because they couldn’t believe he was past the line of scrimmage) we ended up with only one player qualifying for points this week. So congrats to all seven of those who hoped for Jermaine Gresham to finally be properly used again (Striped_To_Impress, Rockhound-11, Grizzlyfox, jimbasa, Cedric Benson Boat Party, BoomerEsiason’sLoveChild, KyleStyle11). He scored 35 points for each of you. The rest of us will have to wait and try again next week.
Added to previous standings, this gives us a week 4 leaderboard of:
1. The Dealio – 147 pts
2t. duffmane – 125 pts
2t. TruWhoDey – 125 pts
3. bill schwab – 122 pts
4. Grizzlyfox – 107 pts
5. biggie22 – 106 pts
6. Cedric Benson Boat Party – 105 pts
7. jimbasa – 88 pts
8t. diehard bengals fan 20 – 72 pts
8t. Cry – 72 pts
8t. bengalsfanforlife – 72 pts
8t. ephram – 72 pts
8t. LookingDeep – 72 pts
9t. Boomer Lion – 70 pts
9t. BonnieBengal – 70 pts
9t. Paul Cannon – 70 pts
9t. i am will – 70 pts
9t. Aether – 70 pts
9t. jim0ijk – 70 pts
9t. James Schmid the great – 70 pts
9t. JADefense – 70 pts
9t. Mr. X – 70 pts
9t. K312 – 70 pts
9t. Joe Goodberry – 70 pts
9t. JerseyBengal – 70 pts
9t. Throw the ball – 70 pts
9t. BradDwayne – 70 pts
9t. CincyMike56 – 70 pts
9t. Pardon_My_French – 70 pts
9t. emeybee – 70 pts
10. ItsAlwaysSunnyInDayton – 53 pts
11t. MCSubtext – 52 pts
11t. Richard L – 52 pts
11t. FriarBob – 52 pts
12t. Striped_To_Impress – 35 pts
12t. Rockhound-11 – 35 pts
12t. BoomerEsiason’sLoveChild – 35 pts
12t. KyleStyle11 – 35 pts
13. ThreeofSpades – 28 pts
14. 70sav – 27 pts
15. Jordan G – 25 pts
Here is a quick recap of the rules.
- Pick one player (Make it easy on me, make him the title of your post. Both first and last name please, and please try to avoid nicknames or blatant misspellings.) who is NOT officially listed as a QB, P, or PK on the roster.
- An offensive score is worth one point per participant who did not pick your player.
- A defensive player is worth 2/1/0.5 point(s) per participant who did not pick your player based on if he 2) actually scored, 1) gained possession of the ball for the team but didn't actually score, or 0.5) allowed the Bengals to gain possession by causing a fumble (or blocking a kick) that another Bengals player recovered. Sacks or tackles behind the line of and by themselves are not worth anything unless they are a strip-sack (0.5 points if we recover) or they are also a safety (2 points). All half-points will be rounded down. A blocked FG is always 0.5 for the blocker, a blocked punt is the same unless the blocker is the only person (on either team) to touch the ball before it becomes a safety (in which case it becomes 2 points).
- You score the maximum possible points for your player but only one time. So a defensive player who forces an opponent's fumble that Cincinnati recovers and recovers another opponent's fumble at a different point in the game is worth 1x points (not 1.5x cumulative).
- Keep commentary to the bare minimum please.
- Predictions on how they will score are not required, and if you provide one they don't net you any bonus if you are right nor do they detract if you are wrong (so long as they do actually score by game rules).
- Try to be original yet still pick somebody you think has a realistic chance to score or cause a turnover.
- Only ONE (1) player entry per contestant, per week is allowed. Unless your first player was on the roster at the start of the week and is put on IR/cut/traded before the next week, your first comment is your player, so pick carefully.
- Deadline for player entries each week is THIRTY (30) minutes prior to kickoff.