For too long the Bengals have been been putting up with players with criminal background. Well it appears, somewhere along the way the front office has decided to pick up on this life style as well, only this time it's being done the right way through savy negotiations and player movement.
Now look, I'm in no way inclined to give our front office a pass for the past 20 years of ineptness but it really does appear the mindset and culture has changed towards the top of this organization and the future looks much brighter than any time in recent memory.
Here are my top 5 acts of Grand larceny the Bengals have commited over the last several years.
6. Taylor Mays - A player we coveted in the 2010 draft and almost moved up to aquire and one year later we were able to get him for a 7th round draft pick. Now it's to early to see how this deal will actually pan out for the Bengals but a 7th rounder for 2nd rounder after only one year looks like a steal to me.
5. Chad "Ochocino" Johnson - During the shortened offseason many high salary, high profile veterans players were just being released or cut by there respective teams (ie Todd Heap released from the Raven). The Bengals were able to get a 5th in 2012 and a 6th in 2013 for Chad. Through 7 games, Chad has had only 12 catches for 159 yards. The fact that the Bengals received two draft picks in return makes this another steal for the Bengals.
4. Brian Leonard - In 2009 we traded Orien Harris for Brian Leonard. Last I heard, Orien was playing in the "American football league" and in return we got Brian Leonard. Now ALL he does is consistently make first downs and wow us us with his "Leonard leap:! Another steal for the Bengals!!
3. Reggie Nelson - In 2010 the Bengals traded David Jones a CB who was more than likely was going to be cut for Reggie Nelson. Last I heard, David Jones was on the street looking for a job and Reggie Nelson is now the starting safety for a top 5 defense and just had a pick 6. And yet again that's another steal for the Bengals.
2. Carson Palmer - Normally this would be #1 because we flat committed "Bernie Madoff" type grand larcony on this deal. First round pick in 2012 and 2nd round pick in 2013 that could potentially become another 1rst round pick for a QB that quit on his team (I know some don't agree with this point, but it's a fact), who has a history of being injured, who is on the wrong side of thirty, and the downside of his career. Let's see, yah that also looks like another steal for the Bengals.
1. Andy Dalton - I originally was not going to put any draft choices as part of this post because it was intended to only be about us stealing from other teams (it was suppose to be a top 5 list). Having said that, getting Andy Dalton in the 2nd round appears to be the steal of the draft and finding the right QB can set up an organization for years to come and that's why picking Andy Dalton in 2nd round after every other team passed on him comes in as the Bengals #1 act of thievery over the last several years.