First off, we discussed last week the possibility of putting up our version of a protest over the atrocious "Calvin Johnson Rule". I'll admit that my anger over finally picking a scoring player (for ONCE after like 8 weeks) and having it stolen from me by the refs was pretty harsh. But on the balance, trying to fairly handle any sort of "override" of the official stats could very quickly devolve into an outright nightmare. So I'm actually fairly glad that the vote against the proposal was an unambiguous majority vote for no. That will make my life (and everybody else's, for that matter) much simpler.
Back to football... this has been an interesting year. We tend to win most of the games we should win, but we've lost a few that we really didn't want to. And the bad reffing and the few mistakes our boys made to cost us the Denver game is looking like it may come back to bite us now. And of course, some of those losses we weren't really "supposed" to win, I mean, we aren't really supposed to beat Pittsburgh... but we can. They're good, of course, but they aren't THAT great or THAT much better than we are. But will we manage to pull one off? I dunno. I hope so. Sure would be nice to take them down a peg at least once this year.
In the meantime, for those who have been following, my health issues are stagnated and aren't getting better. At least they are a LOT better than they WERE, but they aren't going to recover fully until I can get in for some surgery to fix the problem. This will leave me out of things for a week afterwards. I can't remember who filled in for me last time at the moment, but my surgery will probably be on either the 7th or the 14th. I'll put the final date in next week's post (and/or the next) once I know for sure. And if that same somebody would be kind enough to fill in for me for the weekend after my surgery, I would much appreciate it.
In the meantime, let's cheer our boys on to what we all hope will be a victory this weekend. I've had enough of the "moral victories" of hanging with the Stoolers. Let's beat them at least once this year.
Please remember to un-rec the previous week's post (and for that matter, the week 11 one as well) if you rec'd it previously...
Scoring recap post from last week is repeated below the jump as well as the summary version of the rules. (Review the original full write-up of the rules here if you like.) Pick your player in the comments and have fun!
I’m telling you, I must be cursed in some fashion. In this week, A.J. Green was clearly the player of the game but his game-winning catch wasn’t QUITE far enough to get in the endzone and once again whomever I pick takes the week off and doesn’t score. Oh well. Maybe next week. I think I’ve gone something like 8 weeks in a row like this, but eventually it HAS to end… maybe next week. In the meantime, probably it would be wise for few other people to pick whomever I pick, since odds are probably increased that he won’t score by my chosing to pick him. :)
Well in the meantime, we had 35 legitimate entries this week, including one person who picked somebody who was inactive and submited a valid replacement, somebody who picked somebody who was active and thus couldn’t make a replacement pick, and at least one other person who picked an inactive player and didn’t submit an alternate. Oh and we had a defensive score on an INT this week… or we would, had anybody picked Reggie Nelson. Unfortunately, nobody did.
After many requests, I’ve decided to go on ahead and list the zero-score people on the status updates. If you don’t want your name on that list (or if I have forgotten to add, you because I am NOT going to spend the hours it would take to calculate everybody from past weeks who would qualify) please mention something in the comments next week and I’ll take care of it.
Here are the weekly points scored:
Alexneyer – 29 pts (Jermaine Gresham)
MCSubtext – 29 pts (Jermaine Gresham)
BonnieBengal – 29 pts (Jermaine Gresham)
Paul Cannon – 29 pts (Jermaine Gresham)
Aether – 29 pts (Jermaine Gresham)
Boomer Lion – 29 pts (Jermaine Gresham)
BoomerEsiason’sLoveChild – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
the Flying Pig – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
sexsalad – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
cincyplayoffwin2012 – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
jim0ijk – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
James Schmid the great – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
Mr. X – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
The Dealio – 27 pts (Cedric Benson)
Added to previous standings, this gives us a week 12 leaderboard of:
1. Paul Cannon – 263 pts
2t. The Dealio – 247 pts
2t. Boomer Lion – 247 pts
3. BoomerEsiason’sLoveChild – 246 pts
4. Mr. X – 242 pts
5. Cry – 228 pts
6. diehard bengals fan 20 – 214 pts
7. MCSubtext – 213 pts
8. BonnieBengal – 212 pts
9t. duffmane – 202 pts
9t. James Schmid the great – 202 pts
10. rudebengal18 – 197 pts
11. ephram – 192 pts
12. JerseyBengal – 185 pts
13. Rockhound-11 – 183 pts
14. Aether – 173 pts
15. Jordan G – 171 pts
16. ItsAlwaysSunnyInDayton – 169 pts
17. bill schwab – 166 pts
18. Throw the ball – 159 pts
19. Pardon_My_French – 155 pts
20. Cedric Benson Boat Party – 148 pts
21. jim0ijk – 140 pts
22. featherman – 131 pts
23. TruWhoDey – 125 pts
24. Luke – 119 pts
25. LookingDeep – 113 pts
26t. WHYUS!! – 111 pts
26t. Alexneyer – 111 pts
27t. Grizzlyfox – 107 pts
27t. KyleStyle11 – 107 pts
28t. biggie22 – 106 pts
28t. 70sav – 106 pts
29. cincyplayoffwin2012 – 106 pts
30. these3words – 90 pts
31. jimbasa – 88 pts
32. DiabeticBengal – 83 pts
33t. Striped_To_Impress – 81 pts
33t. CBJKing – 81 pts
34. bengalsfanforlife – 72 pts
35t. i am will – 70 pts
35t. JADefense – 70 pts
35t. K312 – 70 pts
35t. Joe Goodberry – 70 pts
35t. BradDwayne – 70 pts
35t. CincyMike56 – 70 pts
35t. emeybee – 70 pts
36t. Richard L – 52 pts
36t. FriarBob – 52 pts
37. occams_tiger_teeth – 45 pts
38. casapennec – 44 pts
39. Rocket_Man_G – 41 pts
40. Purple City Middie – 33 pts
41. ThreeofSpades – 28 pts
42t. the Flying Pig – 27 pts
42t. sexsalad – 27 pts
43. boynamedsue – 22 pts
And, by popular request, the alphabetical roll-call of people who have tried but failed to score any points for the entire season. Note that I have not tried to keep records of this previously, so for now this is list is only last week’s players who failed to score (and weren’t already on the scoreboared). If you want your name added to the list (or removed from it), mention it in the comments and I’ll take care of it.
Nasty ’Nati Nation
Here is a quick recap of the rules.
- Pick one player (Make it easy on me, make him the title of your post. Both first and last name please, and please try to avoid nicknames or blatant misspellings.) who is NOT officially listed as a QB, P, or PK on the roster.
- An offensive score is worth one point per participant who did not pick your player.
- A defensive player is worth 2/1/0.5 point(s) per participant who did not pick your player based on if he 2) actually scored, 1) gained possession of the ball for the team but didn't actually score, or 0.5) allowed the Bengals to gain possession by causing a fumble (or blocking a kick) that another Bengals player recovered. Sacks or tackles behind the line of and by themselves are not worth anything unless they are a strip-sack (0.5 points if we recover) or they are also a safety (2 points). All half-points will be rounded down. A blocked FG is always 0.5 for the blocker, a blocked punt is the same unless the blocker is the only person (on either team) to touch the ball before it becomes a safety (in which case it becomes 2 points).
- You score the maximum possible points for your player but only one time. So a defensive player who forces an opponent's fumble that Cincinnati recovers and recovers another opponent's fumble at a different point in the game is worth 1x points (not 1.5x cumulative).
- Keep commentary to the bare minimum please.
- Predictions on how they will score are not required, and if you provide one they don't net you any bonus if you are right nor do they detract if you are wrong (so long as they do actually score by game rules).
- Try to be original yet still pick somebody you think has a realistic chance to score or cause a turnover.
- Only ONE (1) player entry per contestant, per week is allowed. Unless your first player was on the roster at the start of the week and is put on IR/cut/traded before the next week, your first comment is your player, so pick carefully.
- Deadline for player entries each week is THIRTY (30) minutes prior to kickoff.