Josh wrote earlier this month that defensive end Carlos Dunlap was the Cincinnati Bengals' representative to go into the bracket to determine who would grace the cover of EA's Madden '12. Unfortunately, Dunlap, a No. 10 seed, was just knocked out of the running, badly, by a player we are all unfortunately familiar with: Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.
Ward, a No. 2 seed, thoroughly beat out Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap, a No. 10 seed, by getting 72 percent of the vote. Hillis (No. 10) also advanced by getting 62 percent of the vote against Ray Rice (No. 7) of the Baltimore Ravens.
Ward and Browns running back Peyton Hillis are the only two remaining AFC North players in Madden '12 cover tournament. This week, Hillis will go up against heavily favored Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan and Ward will face off against San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis. You can vote for your favorite here.
The winner of the tournament and the player who will be on the cover of Madden '12 is expected to be announced sometime next month.
Here is how the first round of the tournament broke down:
ROUND 1 BREAKDOWN OF MADDEN NFL 12 COVER VOTE CAMPAIGN
· 72% Aaron Rodgers / 28% Ndamukong Suh
· 57% Sam Bradford / 43% Larry Fitzgerald
· 61% Hakeem Nicks / 39% Brian Orakpo
· 62% Danny Woodhead / 38% Steve Johnson
· 66% Maurice Jones-Drew / 34% Dwight Freeney
· 64% Jamaal Charles / 36% Tim Tebow
· 62% Peyton Hillis / 38% Ray Rice
· 89% Matt Ryan / 11% Jordan Gross
· 67% Philip Rivers / 33% Darren McFadden
· 57% Adrian Peterson / 43% Julius Peppers
· 55% Mark Sanchez / 45% Jake Long
· 56% Drew Brees / 44% Josh Freeman
· 76% Michael Vick / 24% DeMarcus Ware
· 69% Andre Johnson / 31% Chris Johnson
· 54% Patrick Willis / 46% 12th Man
· 72% Hines Ward / 28% Carlos Dunlap