Well, I don't know about you, but an opening day win over a division rival is always a bit sweeter when the opponent was so much better than us they should be "embarrassed" if they lose to us. :)
But that's just week one. There are 15 more games over 16 more weekends. And while 1-15 is a whole lot better than 0-16, I'd like our record to be just a bit better than that. Wouldn't you? So hopefully our boys will come out and play hard at Denver (where, by the way, they haven't won since before the Carter administration) and maybe we can come out with a win there too. It won't be easy. Kyle Orton is clearly a legit QB, and while Quinn may suck and Tebow is unproven the rest of the team is at least decent. Of course, we haven't even seen whether they're any good this year yet, because they don't play until later tonight. But I know John Fox and he's not a superstar coach but he's also quite good at making lemonade out of lemons (i.e. making decent teams out of pretty crappy ingredients). Even if the entire team sucked he'd still find a way to make them put up a fight. And the entire team doesn't suck.
Still, if our team is resilient and Dalton is healthy enough to play, I expect we should at least put up some points in this game. And that's the point of these posts, after all.
Scoring recap post from last week is repeated below the jump as well as the summary version of the rules. (Review the original full write-up of the rules here if you like.) Pick your player in the comments and have fun!
Note: I do not delete previous week threads in case there is any dispute over the scoring. If you gave last week's post a rec, please go and undo that so it can vanish into the history in a timely fashion.
Well, so much for the Grossi under-estimation of our team. They weren’t exactly great, but they were good enough to get the job done. I will take it. And as for this game, wow, we do tend to have immense opening weekends. With 80 legitimate entries there are going to be a lot of points scored and some massive early leads for those who picked right. But without any defensive touchdowns there probably won’t be anybody leaping out to a completely insurmountable lead just yet.
This week, we had Cedric Benson, Jermaine Gresham, and A.J. Green scoring points offensively by the rules of this game. On defense only Michael Johnson scored defensive points. While Chris Crocker tried his best to give us some points, he only forced the fumble and neither he nor any other Bengal recovered it so it doesn’t count.
This gives us a week one scoreboard (and leaderboard) of:
1. biggie22 (Michael Johnson) – 79 pts
2t. duffmane (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. diehard bengals fan 20 (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. Grizzlyfox (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. Cry (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. bengalsfanforlife (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. ephram (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. TruWhoDey (A.J. Green) 72 pts
2t. LookingDeep (A.J. Green) 72 pts
3t. Boomer Lion (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. BonnieBengal (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. Paul Cannon (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. i am will (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. Cedric Benson Boat Party (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. Aether (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. The Dealio (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. jim0ijk (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. James Schmid the great
3t. JADefense (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. Mr. X (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. K312 (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. bill schwab (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. Joe Goodberry (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. JerseyBengal (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. Throw the ball (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. BradDwayne (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. CincyMike56 (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
3t. Pardon_My_French (Jermaine Gresham) 70 pts
3t. emeybee (Cedric Benson) 70 pts
Here is a quick recap of the rules.
- Pick one player (Make it easy on me, make him the title of your post. Both first and last name please, and please try to avoid nicknames or blatant misspellings.) who is NOT officially listed as a QB, P, or PK on the roster.
- An offensive score is worth one point per participant who did not pick your player.
- A defensive player is worth 2/1/0.5 point(s) per participant who did not pick your player based on if he 2) actually scored, 1) gained possession of the ball for the team but didn't actually score, or 0.5) allowed the Bengals to gain possession by causing a fumble (or blocking a kick) that another Bengals player recovered. Sacks or tackles behind the line of and by themselves are not worth anything unless they are a strip-sack (0.5 points if we recover) or they are also a safety (2 points). All half-points will be rounded down. A blocked FG is always 0.5 for the blocker, a blocked punt is the same unless the blocker is the only person (on either team) to touch the ball before it becomes a safety (in which case it becomes 2 points).
- You score the maximum possible points for your player but only one time. So a defensive player who forces an opponent's fumble that Cincinnati recovers and recovers another opponent's fumble at a different point in the game is worth 1x points (not 1.5x cumulative).
- Keep commentary to the bare minimum please.
- Predictions on how they will score are not required, and if you provide one they don't net you any bonus if you are right nor do they detract if you are wrong (so long as they do actually score by game rules).
- Try to be original yet still pick somebody you think has a realistic chance to score or cause a turnover.
- Only ONE (1) player entry per contestant, per week is allowed. Unless your first player was on the roster at the start of the week and is put on IR/cut/traded before the next week, your first comment is your player, so pick carefully.
- Deadline for player entries each week is THIRTY (30) minutes prior to kickoff.