I don't know what's worse, losing the game, or knowing that we really didn't play that great yet and didn't really deserve to win... yet we had a chance anyway... and didn't pull it off.
Oh well, one more week in the bank, and we are 1-1. We still have a shot to win at least a few more games before the year is done. Maybe even more. But we won't if we don't figure out how to play well for FOUR quarters instead of one or two. We played pretty good for parts of the game yesterday. But only parts. That's two weeks in a row. Three weeks in a row of that is completely unacceptable. Step it up guys.
Still, it's not like next week we have to face the greatest quarterback in the history of ever, ever. If our DL keeps playing as well as they have been and we do NOT let Ginn rip off 100+ yard kickoff returns, then I'd say we have at least a shot on this game. Plus its a 1pm start for a west coast team coming to visit our home turf. That's almost as bad for them as going to the west coast is for us. We've got a shot. Not sure how good of one, but we've got one.
Scoring recap post from last week is repeated below the jump as well as the summary version of the rules. (Review the original full write-up of the rules here if you like.) Pick your player in the comments and have fun!
Well, another close game this week, another week in which we truly weren’t remotely close to "dominant" but we at least showed a good bit of "potential", and unfortunately, this week, a loss. Still, I’m not joking or whistling in the wind about that potential. Any of you notice that on Michael Johnson’s strip sack he was literally being held onto for dear life and he still got around the guy and made the play? That kid is a beast. Hope he keeps that up… and we keep him for many years to come. And plenty of other guys showed there is talent on this team… we just gotta string together four good quarters instead of only 1.5 to 2.5 or so.
As for this game, we got a good bit of scoring out of our boys, which was nice to see. Offensively A.J. Green and Andre Caldwell both scored TDs, so 1x points for both of those. Well, there would be, except nobody picked Caldwell. Oops. Green scores points for his adherents however. Defensively, both Michael Johnson and Reggie Nelson forced fumbles, and this week we got the turnover on both plays so those are worth 0.5x points. And Leon Hall and Domata Peko both recovered those fumbles for the team, giving them each 1x points for those who picked them.
Some other interesting or amusing stats for the week: 13 people picked Cedric Benson (maybe they got unlucky?) and he was the most common player chosen. The most common player picked who did score was Leon Hall, by 5 people. The most unique player chosen who actually scored was Michael Johnson, picked only one time by ThreeofSpades. Last year in week two we have 54 legitimate entries, and this year we had 57, so looks like we have a fair number of repeat players as well as a trickle of newbies. Also, to the best of my recollection, this is the first time since the 0.5x point rule was established that TWO players qualified for those points and BOTH got picked by somebody.
This gives us the following week 2 scores:
jimbasa – 53 pts (A.J. Green)
duffmane – 53 pts (A.J. Green)
ItsAlwaysSunnyInDayton – 53 pts (A.J. Green)
TruWhoDey – 53 pts (A.J. Green)
The Dealio – 52 pts (Leon Hall)
bill schwab – 52 pts (Leon Hall)
MCSubtext – 52 pts (Leon Hall)
Richard L – 52 pts (Leon Hall)
FriarBob – 52 pts (Leon Hall)
ThreeofSpades – 28 pts (Michael Johnson)
70sav – 27 pts (Reggie Nelson)
biggie22 – 27 pts (Reggie Nelson)
Added to previous standings, this gives us a week 2 leaderboard of:
1t. duffmane – 125 pts
1t. TruWhoDey – 125 pts
2t. The Dealio – 122 pts
2t. bill schwab – 122 pts
3. biggie22 – 106 pts
4t. diehard bengals fan 20 – 72 pts
4t. Grizzlyfox – 72 pts
4t. Cry – 72 pts
4t. bengalsfanforlife – 72 pts
4t. ephram – 72 pts
4t. LookingDeep – 72 pts
5t. Boomer Lion – 70 pts
5t. BonnieBengal – 70 pts
5t. Paul Cannon – 70 pts
5t. i am will – 70 pts
5t. Cedric Benson Boat Party – 70 pts
5t. Aether – 70 pts
5t. jim0ijk – 70 pts
5t. James Schmid the great
5t. JADefense – 70 pts
5t. Mr. X – 70 pts
5t. K312 – 70 pts
5t. Joe Goodberry – 70 pts
5t. JerseyBengal – 70 pts
5t. Throw the ball – 70 pts
5t. BradDwayne – 70 pts
5t. CincyMike56 – 70 pts
5t. Pardon_My_French – 70 pts
5t. emeybee – 70 pts
6t. jimbasa – 53 pts
6t. ItsAlwaysSunnyInDayton – 53 pts
7t. MCSubtext – 52 pts
7t. Richard L – 52 pts
7t. FriarBob – 52 pts
8. ThreeofSpades – 28 pts
9. 70sav – 27 pts
Here is a quick recap of the rules.
- Pick one player (Make it easy on me, make him the title of your post. Both first and last name please, and please try to avoid nicknames or blatant misspellings.) who is NOT officially listed as a QB, P, or PK on the roster.
- An offensive score is worth one point per participant who did not pick your player.
- A defensive player is worth 2/1/0.5 point(s) per participant who did not pick your player based on if he 2) actually scored, 1) gained possession of the ball for the team but didn't actually score, or 0.5) allowed the Bengals to gain possession by causing a fumble (or blocking a kick) that another Bengals player recovered. Sacks or tackles behind the line of and by themselves are not worth anything unless they are a strip-sack (0.5 points if we recover) or they are also a safety (2 points). All half-points will be rounded down. A blocked FG is always 0.5 for the blocker, a blocked punt is the same unless the blocker is the only person (on either team) to touch the ball before it becomes a safety (in which case it becomes 2 points).
- You score the maximum possible points for your player but only one time. So a defensive player who forces an opponent's fumble that Cincinnati recovers and recovers another opponent's fumble at a different point in the game is worth 1x points (not 1.5x cumulative).
- Keep commentary to the bare minimum please.
- Predictions on how they will score are not required, and if you provide one they don't net you any bonus if you are right nor do they detract if you are wrong (so long as they do actually score by game rules).
- Try to be original yet still pick somebody you think has a realistic chance to score or cause a turnover.
- Only ONE (1) player entry per contestant, per week is allowed. Unless your first player was on the roster at the start of the week and is put on IR/cut/traded before the next week, your first comment is your player, so pick carefully.
- Deadline for player entries each week is THIRTY (30) minutes prior to kickoff.