Every week we try to push out a weekly connections between the Bengals and their opponent that week. It's informational, only. How many Bengals players are from the northern California region? How many 49ers players are from the state of Ohio, or the Cincinnati region (which includes areas in Kentucky). How many players played together in college?
- San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh played quarterback for the Ravens (1998) while Marvin Lewis was the Ravens defensive coordinator and Darrin Simmons was the assistant special teams coach.
- Wide receiver Andre Caldwell and safety Reggie Nelson were teammates with 49ers defensive tackle Ray McDonald at the University of Florida (2005-06).
- Cornerback Kelly Jennings was teammates with 49ers running back Frank Gore and linebacker Tavares Gooden at the University of Miami (2003-04).
- Bengals cornerback Leon Hall was teammates with 49ers wide receiver Braylon Edwards at the University of Michigan from (2006-07).
- Tight end Jermaine Gresham was a former teammate with 49ers safety Reggie Smith at Oklahoma (2006-2007).
- Place kicker Mike Nugent was former teammates with wide receiver Ted Ginn and safety Donte Whitner at the Ohio State University (2004).
- Linebacker Rey Maualuga and safety Taylor Mays were teammates with guard Chilo Rachal at USC (2006-2007).
Bengals-Northern California Connections
- Cornerback Nate Clements played for the 49ers (2007-2010).
- Linebacker Manny Lawson was a first round draft selection with the 49ers in 2006 and played there through 2010.
- Safety Taylor Mays, second round selection in the 2010 NFL draft, spent the entire season in San Francisco.
- Linebacker Rey Maualuga is from Eureka, California.
- Wide receiver Ryan Whalen (Alamo, California), played at Stanford.
- Safety Gibril Wilson is from San Jose, California.
- Running backs coach Jim Anderson coached at Stanford (1981-83).
- Defensive backs coach Kevin Coyle coached at Fresno State (1997-2000).
- Offensive coordinator Jay Gruden played for the Sacramento Surge (WLAF) in 1990.
- Quarterback coach Ken Zampese is from Santa Maria, California.
49ers - Ohio and Cincinnati Regional Connections
- Linebacker Ahmad Brooks, the Bengals third round supplemental selection in 2006, played with the Bengals for two seasons (2006, 2007).
- Defensive end Justin Smith (first round pick in the 2001 NFL Draft), played with the Bengals for seven seasons (2001-2007).
- Safety Madieu Williams (second round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft), played four seasons (2004-2007) with the Bengals.
- Tackle Alex Boone, wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., safety Donte Whitner and linebacker Larry Grant played for the Ohio State University.
- Place kicker David Akers (Lexington, Kentucky) played at Louisville.
- Safety C.J. Spillman is from Louisville, Kentucky.
- Jim Harbaugh was also born in Toledo, Ohio and coached at Western Kentucky.
- Secondary coach Ed Donatell coached at Kent State (1979-80).
- Offensive coordinator Greg Roman coached at John Carroll University (1990-94)
- Offensive line coach Mike Solari coached at the University of Cincinnati (1981-82).