DENVER, CO - SEPTEMBER 18: Cedric Benson #32 of the Cincinnati Bengals rushes with the ball as Wesley Woodyard #52 of the Denver Broncos mkaes the tackle at Invesco Field at Mile High on September 18, 2011 in Denver, Colorado. The Broncos defeated the Bengals 24-22. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
As we pointed out earlier this afternoon, Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports wrote that Cedric Benson has been notified of a three-game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy during the lockout. An appeal will be heard on Tuesday allowing Benson to suit up and start against the San Francisco 49ers this weekend. If the suspension isn't overturned or reduced, Benson will miss the Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts and the next time he'll suit up as a Cincinnati Bengals running back will be against the Seattle Seahawks on October 30.
The suspension is news to Benson and the league office isn't saying anything either:
Benson said through a Bengals spokesman late Thursday afternoon that he hasn't been informed that he's been suspended and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league isn't commenting on the report. Benson met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before last season and wasn't suspended after the first incident. The second one took place during the lockout back in July.
A league source told ESPN Insider Adam Schefter that Benson has a "strong case" to appeal the suspension; perhaps because players like Kenny Britt and Aqib Talib weren't disciplined. As to whether the league has the right to suspend Benson for actions during the lockout in which players were not under a collective bargaining agreement, is completely (and justifiably so) another matter.