CINCINNATI, OH - DECEMBER 11: Manny Lawson #99 of the Cincinnati Bengals takes the field for the game against the Houston Texans at Paul Brown Stadium on December 11, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by John Grieshop/Getty Images)
Game: Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) At Houston Texans (10-6)
Series Leader: Series tied at three
Streak: Texans have won three straight
Coaches vs. Opponent: Lewis: 2-3. Kubiak: 3-0
Coaches in the Playoffs: Lewis: 0-2. Kubiak: 0-0
Broadcast: NBC (4:30 PM ET): Tom Hammond, Mike Mayock, Alex Flanagan (Field reporter). Westwood One Radio: Howard David, Tony Boselli, Mark Malone (Field reporter). SIRIUS: 88 (WW1), 92 (Cin.), 86 (Hou.). XM: 88 (WW1), 225 (Cin.), 226 (Hou.).
SB Nation: Battle Red Blog | SB Nation Game Coverage
NFL.com: Game Center
Weather: Partly cloudy with a high of 38 degrees [Weather Underground]
- The Cincinnati Bengals have reached the playoffs for the third time during Marvin Lewis' tenure ('05, '09, '11).
- Bengals are looking to record their first postseason win since January 6, 1991 against the Houston Oilers (Wild Card).
- Andy Dalton (20) tied Hall of Fame quarterback for fourth-most touchdowns thrown by a rookie (Peyton Manning, 26 in 1998; Charlie Conerly, 22 in 1948; Cam Newton, 21 in 2011).
- Dalton (3,398) registered the fifth-most passing yards by a rookie in NFL history.
- In his only meeting against the Houston Texans, Dalton posted a passer rating of 89.7.
- Cedric Benson (1,067) has rushed for 1,000 yards or more for a third consecutive season.
- Benson generated 169 yards rushing in his last playoff game on January 9, 2010 against the New York Jets.
- In his last game against the Texans, Benson posted 91 yards rushing.
- A.J. Green led all NFL rookies in receptions (65) and fell two receptions short of Cris Collinsworth's franchise record of 67 by a rookie.
- Green's 1,057 yards receiving is the most by a rookie in franchise history.
- In seven road games this year, Green is averaging 86.1 yards receiving per game with five touchdown receptions.
- Dalton and Green are the first rookie combination in NFL history with 3,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards receiving.
- Green is the first Bengals rookie to be selected to the Pro Bowl since Collinsworth in 1981.
- Jerome Simpson has a touchdown reception in his only meeting against the Houston Texans.
- Jermaine Gresham posted a career-high in receptions (56), yards receiving (596) and touchdown receptions (6).
- Defense tied a season-best five quarterback sacks against the Houston Texans earlier this year.
- Bengals ranked second in the AFC with 45 quarterback sacks (Baltimore, 48).
- Defensive end Jonathan Fanene tied a career-high with six quarterback sacks.
- Defensive end Carlos Dunlap has generated 14 quarterback sacks in two season with the Bengals.
- Defensive tackle Geno Atkins posted a career-high eight quarterback sacks this season.
- Linebacker Thomas Howard led the team with 94 tackles.
- Safety Reggie Nelson generated an interception in previous meeting against Houston.
- Adam Jones has two career punt returns for touchdown against the Texans.
- Texans earned their first division title and playoff berth in franchise history this year.
- Rookie quarterback T.J. Yates had a career-best 300 yards passing and two touchdowns during Houston's week 14 win over the Bengals.
- Houston ranks second in the NFL with 153 yards rushing per game this season.
- Running back Arian Foster averaged an NFL-best 141.6 yards from scrimmage in 2011.
- Foster tied NFL-best seven 100-yard games in 2011 (Willis McGahee).
- Foster averaged 113.2 yards rushing per game in six home games this season.
- Foster and Ben Tate are the only running backs on the same team with over 900 yards rushing apiece in the same season.
- Foster registered over 1,200 yards rushing and ten rushing touchdowns in consecutive seasons.
- Ben Tate averaged 8.4 yards per carry in his only meeting against the Bengals.
- Tate is averaging 100.4 yards rushing per game when posting 15 rushing attempts or more.
- During his previous two games against the Cincinnati Bengals, wide receiver Andre Johnson has posted 19 receptions for 278 yards receiving.
- Since coming into the league in 2003, Johnson ranks second during the regular season with 9,656 yards receiving.
- Tight end Owen Daniels posted seven receptions for 100 yards receiving in his previous game against the Bengals.
- Daniels has 299 regular season receptions, second-most in franchise history.
- Tight end Joel Dreessen posted a career-best six touchdown receptions in 2011.
- Texans defense allowed 285.7 yards per game in 2011, second fewest in the NFL.
- Texans registered team record 44 quarterback sacks this season.
- Linebacker Connor Barwin posted 11.5 quarterback sacks this season, third most in franchise history.
- Linebacker Brian Cushing tied a career-best four sacks in 2011 and led the team with 114 tackles.
TEAM RANKINGS (FINAL REGULAR SEASON)
|Total||319.9 (20th)||372.1 (13th)|
|Scoring||21.5 (18th)||23.8 (10th)|
|Third Downs||36% (18th)||42% (8th)|
|Rushing||111.1 (19th)||153.0 (2nd)|
|Rushing TDs||10 (t-21st)||18 (t-3rd)|
|20-Yard Runs||6 (30th)||13 (t-11th)|
|Passing||208.8 (20th)||219.1 (19th)|
|Passing TDs||20 (t-18th)||21 (t-13th)|
|Sacks Allowed||25 (t-4th)||33 (t-12th)|
|20-yard Passes||51 (t-17th)||55 (t-15th)|
|Total||316.2 (7th)||285.7 (2nd)|
|Scoring||20.2 (9th)||17.4 (4th)|
|3rd Downs Allowed||36% (12th)||36% (14th)|
|Rushing||104.7 (10th)||96.0 (4th)|
|Rushing TDs||14 (t-20th)||8 (t-3rd)|
|20-Yard Runs||10 (t-10th)||10 (t-10th)|
|Passing||211.6 (9th)||189.7 (3rd)|
|Passing TDs||21 (t-9th)||18 (t-6th)|
|Sacks||45 (5th)||44 (6th)|
|QB Rating||85.0 (17th)||69.0 (2nd)|
|20-Yard Passes Allowed||47 (11th)||45 (t-6th)|
|Interceptions||10 (t-26th)||17 (t-13th)|
|Kickoff Return||22.8 (24th)||25.2 (7th)|
|Punt Return||11.5 (7th)||10.4 (t-14th)|
|Punting (Net)||39.2 (t-13th)||37.7 (24th)|
|Punts Inside the 20||24 (t-16th)||19 (t-27th)|
CAREER AGAINST THE HOUSTON TEXANS
HOUSTON TEXANS AGAINST THE BENGALS