Rarely do we overreact with Bengals players facing legal issues off the field. We're likely to offer patience for a legal process to pan out, allowing that we're not being presented the complete picture because context is everything. Did a player charged with assault react without instigation or was he defending someone? Not everyone concedes the difference, questioning character no matter the situation that the player is faced with. Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong. It's all perspective.
When speaking to friends about Rey Maualuga's reported assault in a Cincinnati bar last week, it always comes back to the foundation of a flawed and outdated argument. Shaking their heads they ask, what's wrong with these players? Why is it that Cincinnati Bengals players are the one's always getting in trouble?
Dating back two years, there have been eight incidents with Bengals players.
- January 29, 2010: Rey Maualuga arrested for a DUI.
- May 4, 2010: Maurice Purify arrested for disorderly conduct (bar fight).
- June 29, 2010: Cedric Benson arrested for misdemeanor assault.
- July 10, 2011: Adam Jones arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
- July 14, 2011: Marvin White arrested for simple assault disturbing the peace.
- July 17, 2011: Cedric Benson arrested and charged with assault.
- January 19, 2012: Jerome Simpson indicted on one count of trafficking marijuana.
- February 10, 2012: Rey Maualuga charged with misdemeanor assault.
That being said, Bengals players aren't the only one's getting into trouble. In fact the Bengals don't even lead the league with most incidents dating back to 2010. That honor is bestowed upon the Tennessee Titans with nine. The Denver Broncos and Washington Redskins tied the Bengals with eight incidents.
The following is a list of arrests, citations and charges per team since 2010.
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||7|
|Green Bay Packers||6|
|San Diego Chargers||4|
|Kansas City Chiefs||2|
|New England Patriots||2|
|New Orleans Saints||2|
|San Francisco 49ers||2|
|St. Louis Rams||1|
Data compiled using the San Diego Tribute database.