Every NFL game features some sort of connection between participating teams. Whether it's players that played against their opponents or originated from the opposing team's state, those connections can often fill up a book. Though the connections between the Bengals and Packers isn't extensive, there's plenty of relationship there.
For example, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis were assistant coaches at the University of Pittsburgh in 1990 and 1991 -- Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum was also on that '90 staff. Lewis and Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers were on the Steelers coaching staff in 1992 through '94. Lewis was also the linebackers coach when Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene played in Pittsburgh from 1993 to '95.
Packers secondary-cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. was on the Atlanta Falcons coaching staff in 2007, with Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and running backs coach Hue Jackson (who was an offensive coordinator in Atlanta). Packers safety Chris Banjo and Bengals safety George Iloka were former high school teammates at Kempner High School in Sugar Land, Texas.
So those connections are there. Here are more:
Packers from Ohio/Kentucky:
- Green Bay Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk is from Centerville, Ohio and played for the Ohio State Buckeyes.
- Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett played at the Ohio State.
- Tight end Jake Stoneburner (practice squad) is from Dublin, Ohio and played at Ohio State.
- Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb played at the University of Kentucky.
- Punter Tim Masthay is from Murray, Kentucky and played at the University of Kentucky.
- Packers cornerback Micah Hyde is from Fostoria, Ohio.
- Packers offensive tackle Aaron Adams (practice squad) played at Eastern Kentucky.
- Defensive coordinator Dom Capers is from Cambridge, Ohio and coached at Ohio State from 1982-83.
- Defensive line coach Mike Trgovac was born in Youngstown, Ohio and attended Fitch High School in Austintown, Ohio.
Bengals from Wisconsin
- Offensive guard Kevin Zeitler is from Waukesha, Wisconsin and played for the University of Wisconsin.
- Fullback Chris Pressley (currently on the team's PUP list) played at the University of Wisconsin.
- Bengals assistant strength and conditioning coach Jeff Friday is from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Bengals with Connections to the Green Bay Packers or Wisconsin:
- Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese coached for the Packers in 1999.
- Bengals defensive line coach Jay Hayes coached at Wisconsin from 1995-98.
Packers with Connections to the Bengals or Ohio/Kentucky:
- Packers secondary-safeties coach Darren Perry coached for the Bengals in 2002.
- Tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot played for the Bengals in 2004.
- Packers secondary-cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. coached at Louisville from 2003-06.
- Packers offensive tackle Marshall Newhouse and Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton at TCU.
- Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson and Packers safety Morgan Burnett at Georgia Tech.
- Bengals cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and Packers running back Eddie Lacy at Alabama.
- Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga, safety Taylor Mays and Packers linebacker Clay Matthews at Southern California.