I was sitting at home bored, and decided to do a fanspeak mock draft. Enjoy/comment.
24 - CB DARQUEZE DENNARD- MICHIGAN STATE
- The Bengals are full of question marks at cornerback going into 2014. Dennard gives them a day-one starter if need be. Verret was still on the board as well, but Dennard's size is an advantage when defending against the likes of Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, etc. in the upcoming season.
55 - S JIMMIE WARD - NORTHERN ILLINOIS
- Ward is still on the board as the Bengals are picking in the second round. Ward provides depth/starting ability in the secondary. Value pick
88 - RB CARLOS HYDE - OHIO STATE
- Possible BJGE replacement that could really benefit from Hue Jackson's system. Should be an upgrade over BJGE and other running backs on roster (Burkhead)
123 - QB A.J. MCCARRON - ALABAMA
- McCarron comes from powerhouse Alabama where he was a part of 2 national championship teams, and one game away from returning this past season. With a year to learn under Dalton, McCarron could provide a long-term solution should the Dalton project come to an end after this season.
164 - CB TERRANCE MITCHELL - OREGON
199 - CB ANDRE HAL - VANDERBILT
- The two picks above provide competition/depth battles for training camp. Picture Hall, Newman, DreKirk, Pacman, Dennard and one of these guys on special teams. The other goes through waivers and possible lands on a practice squad
212 - DT JAY BROMLEY - SYRACUSE
- Practice squad. Works under the best DT in the game, gets year(s) to develop into a potential depth player
239- WR SHAQ EVANS - UCLA
- Cobi Hamilton v.2. Practice squad
252- FB J.C. COPELAND - LSU
- The fullback position is diminishing. In a run-heavy offense under Hue Jackson, Copeland looks to be a solution to the FB experiment previous held by Orson Charles.