OK, Michael Vick. I think he's a thrilling athlete. He makes cuts and runs no other player can make without ripping some tendons and breaking some ankles. I can see Dave Lapham talking about jock straps during the radio broadcast -- yes, he talks about jock straps.
As for the defining aspect of being a quarterback, I think Michael Vick is average -- being kind here unlike MasterRWayne at Stampede Blue. TMQ says Atlanta finally found success using a high school-like offense. The real reason the Falcons are chewing up the National Football League on the ground is that they are the first team in recent memory to have the sheer brass to use a high school offense.
Personally, I think he's fast and exciting with an inaccurate rocket arm. The perception is Vick is average as a quarterback, great as a runner -- I dare you to challenge that. In the end, I really don't care. I'm not a fan of the Falcons and I could care less what works for them. But he could prove to be problematic if he runs.. if he passes, we'll have a field day. Because everyone knows Michael Vick can't pass.
GAME: Bengals vs. Falcons
WHEN: Sunday, October 29th, 2006 at 1 p.m.
BROADCAST: FOX carries the broadcast with Dick Stockton, Troy Aikman and Pam Oliver. All we need now is Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith and that should round up the Cowboys. Then again, if we hear "fum da ew" 6,000 times, we may call the jerk-line.
- This is the first meeting between Atlanta and Cincinnati since 2002 when the Bengals were on ESPN's Sunday Night football. In that game Paul McGuire laughed at us and Joe Theisman said something stupid. The Bengals lost 30-3 in the third week of their 2-14 season. Thank god for Marvin.
- The last time Atlanta came to Cincinnati was November 24th, 1996. In that game, Jeff Blake threw four touchdowns -- three to Pickens -- as the Bengals beat Atlanta, 41-31.
- The Bengals lead the all-time series, 7-3 -- is that the first all-time series we've dominated?
- When playing at home, the Bengals are 7-0 against NFC teams with Marvin Lewis as head coach. A win Sunday would be the 5th straight defeat against Atlanta in Cincinnati.
- Bengals have scored on all possessions in the red-zone (16 possessions). The team is 4th in the NFL with a 62.5 TD pct. in the red-zone.
Carson Palmer is 7-1 against NFC teams. Has at least two touchdowns in five of his past six games and a total of 17 touchdowns against the NFC -- is also 7-1.
Rudi Johnson (15) last week passed Pete Johnson (14) for 3rd most 100-yard games in team history -- ten of which have come at home.
Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh have combined for 5,365 yards since 2004 -- 3rd most by any tandem in that span.
- Defensive ends, Justin Smith and Robert Geathers, are the only NFL tandem with six sacks each.
- Atlanta has won seven of their past nine games against the AFC under head coach Jim Mora.
- The Falcons lead the NFL with 222.2 rushing yards per game and a 6.1 yard per rush average.
- Team is 15-4 when Vick has at least two touchdowns. I know, he's only had multiple touchdown games 19 times? Carson did that in two weeks -- don't think, just laugh.
- Vick is second in the league with 21 rushes of 10 yards or more.
- Warrick Dunn has five runs of 20 yards or more -- tied for most in NFL with Vick.
- Alge Crumpler is one of three tight ends to lead their team in receptions (21) and yards (311).
- Michael Jenkins has at least one first down reception in 11 consecutive games.
- DeAngelo Hall (Chad removes the "H" and adds an "F") has five picks in his last seven games.