The Pro Football Talk guys say that negotiations between Keith Rivers and the Cincinnati Bengals are close. Apparently it has something to do with ingenuity -- which means the report isn't very likely, knowing the Brown family. Hobson, on the other hand, sees no evidence of that and reminds us that what they're saying is merely "speculation".
Ahmad Brooks is failing at the high expectations given to him after the depth chart placed him third behind Rashad Jeanty and Darryl Blackstock. He was even "chased" off of the kickoff team and replaced by Tyler Whaley. Other notables on the depth chart include (which doesn't mean any changes were made):
- Jeff Rowe over Jordan Palmer as the third QB.
- Kenny Watson is over Chris Perry as the backup running back while DeDe Dorsey is ahead James Johnson for the fourth spot.
- Daniel Coats is the first fullback; Jeremi Johnson is fourth.
- Brandon Johnson is the starting WILL backed up by Jim Maxwell and then Keith Rivers.
- Punt returning duties have Deltha O'Neal, Antonio Chatman and T.J. Houshmandzadeh -- all experienced returners.
- Glenn Holt and Andre Caldwell are the leading kickoff return candidates.
Executive Vice President, Katie Blackburn on Keith Rivers: "I keep saying he'll be here any second. I was optimistic two weeks ago."
Five questions with Chinedum Ndukwe.
Chad Johnson is back, but he's being worked in slow.
Kenny Irons was waived off injured reserve, completely severing his ties with the Cincinnati Bengals. Irons is entitled to $275,000 (rather than his salary $370,000 due this year).
The Bengals Monday Night pre-season opener will kickoff this Monday against the Green Bay Packers. Who/what do you expect to get the most coverage?
Willie Anderson on taking days off. "It's great to go home and sleep in your own bed, but you end up getting back here and realizing how sore you are."
When Bobbie Williams takes snaps at center, Paul Alexander calls it "the Jurassic Line". Also in that story, Chick Ludwig writes that Frostee Rucker was pulled after jumping offsides twice -- replaced by Jonathan Fanene.
The Ravens won't have their starting offensive tackles, a wideout and Willis McGahee when they take the field for their first pre-season game Thursday night. Terrell Suggs hasn't been seen for the entire camp.