Here's week two's nominations for players of the week.
GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week.
- Oakland’s KIRK MORRISON made six tackles, had one sack, and defensed one pass in the Raiders’ 23 – 8 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Morrison also had a fourth-quarter interception that led to a Raiders’ touchdown drive leaving only 51 seconds on the clock for the Chiefs.
- Pittsburgh’s TROY POLAMALU recorded his second interception of the season, defended two passes and made one tackle for a loss to help the Steelers defeat the Cleveland Browns 10-6. Polamalu’s interception prevented a Cleveland touchdown on the final play of the first half to keep the game scoreless after 30 minutes.
- New York Giants’ JUSTIN TUCK made three tackles, had two sacks, defensed a pass and returned one interception 41 yards for a touchdown in the Giants’ 41 – 13 win over the St. Louis Rams.
- San Francisco’s PATRICK WILLIS made eight tackles, defensed a pass and returned an interception 86 yards for a touchdown to tie the game in the 49ers’ 33 – 30 overtime win over the Seattle Seahawks.
- Green Bay’s CHARLES WOODSON recorded two tackles and intercepted Lions QB Jon Kitna on back-to-back series in the fourth quarter, the first leading to a Packers’ touchdown drive and the second returned 41-yards for a score in the Packers’ 48 – 25 win over the Detroit Lions.
Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week
- Washington’s CHRIS HORTON recovered a fumble, made two interceptions, tallied three tackles, and defensed two passes in his first NFL start and the Redskins’ 29 – 24 win over the New Orleans Saints.
- Tennessee’s CHRIS JOHNSON led Tennessee rushing for 109 yards over 19 carries and made two receptions for 12 yards in the Titans’ 24 – 7 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Dallas’ FELIX JONES rushed for 10 yards on three carries and received six kickoffs for 247 yards including one 98-yard return for a touchdown in the Cowboys' 41 - 37 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Oakland’s DARREN MC FADDEN carried the ball 21 times for 164 yards including a 19-yard touchdown in the Raiders’ 23 – 8 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Carolina‘s JONATHAN STEWART finished with 77 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries in the Panthers’ 20 – 17 win over the Chicago Bears.
FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week
- Denver’s JAY CUTLER completed 36 of 50 passes for 350 yards and four touchdowns in the Broncos’ 39 – 38 win over the San Diego Chargers. Cutler led an offense that gained a total 486 yards and controlled the ball for 34 minutes.
- Green Bay’s AARON RODGERS completed 24 of 38 passes for 328 yards and three touchdowns in the Packers’ 48 – 25 win over the Detroit Lions. Rodgers led an offense that had possession of the ball for more than 35 minutes and gained a total 447 yards.
- Arizona’s KURT WARNER completed 19 of 24 passes for 361 yards and three touchdowns in the Cardinals’ 31 – 10 win over the Miami Dolphins. Warner led the Cardinals to gain 445 total yards and controlled the ball for nearly 32 minutes.
FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week
- Oakland’s DARREN MC FADDEN carried the ball 21 times for 164 yards including a 19-yard touchdown in the Raiders’ 23 – 8 win over the Kansas City Chiefs. McFadden helped the Raiders gain 300 rushing yards for their first win of the season.
- Pittsburgh’s WILLIE PARKER posted his second consecutive 100-yard game in a hard-fought 10-6 Steelers road win over the Cleveland Browns. Parker rushed for 105 yards on 28 carries.
- Washington’s CLINTON PORTIS rushed for 96 yards and two second-half touchdowns on 21 carries in the Redskins’ 29 – 24 win over the New Orleans Saints.