On the same day that it was announced that the AFC Defensive Player of the Month was our very own Antwan Odom, Rey Maualuga was considered and nominated for the September NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month. Maualuga has started all three games this season, ranks fourth on the team with 15 tackles, has also recorded a sack and forced two fumbles. Not a bad start for a guy that 31 other teams passed up on, some twice.
The award eventually went to Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas, who recorded 17 tackles, three passes defensed and a fumble recovered and returned 65 yards for a touchdown. Other nominations, aside from Maualuga, include:
- Dallas kicker DAVID BUEHLER (fifth round, USC), who tied for the NFL lead with seven touchbacks as the Cowboys’ kickoff coverage unit ranked third overall.
- Houston linebacker BRIAN CUSHING (1st round, USC), who has started all three games and leads the team and all NFL rookies with 26 tackles.
- Seattle linebacker AARON CURRY (first round, Wake Forest), who started all three games and had 15 tackles, one sack and a forced fumble.
- Philadelphia safety MACHO HARRIS (fifth round, Virginia Tech), who started all three games and had nine tackles and one pass defensed.
- New Orleans Saints cornerback MALCOLM JENKINS (first round, Ohio State), who had five special teams tackles, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.
On the offensive side, Mark Sanchez won rookie of the month. No Bengals players were nominated -- not that we have a rookie doing much on offense anyway.