clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Redskins Tie The Bengals At 24 Following Robert Griffin III Touchdown Pass

Getty Images

Clearly momentum is being established on the wrong side of the field. After containing the Redskins offense without a touchdown in the first half, Washington opened the second half with a touchdown. After an impressive first half, the Bengals offense goes three and out. Momentum is clearly shifting. The question is how much Cincinnati can limit the damage.

On first down Robert Griffin III faked the handoff and found a wide open Leonard Hankerson, finding a huge cap in the coverage for a 23-yard reception. On the following play Alfred Morris pounds his way up the middle for a 13-yard gain and the RGIII fakes a handoff and pitches the football to Brandon Banks for another 21-yard gain to the Bengals 29-yard line with over seven minutes remaining.

To answer the question. No much.

Carlos Dunlap pushed his blocker back on the following play, wrapping Morris' leg and dropping the running back for a one-yard loss. On second and 11 Morris picks up a limited four yards, setting up third and seven at Cincinnati's 26-yard line with just under six minutes remaining. Griffin holds onto the football during an open, sprints around the left edge and picks up nine yards and the first down.

The defense is reeling, on their heels. First down at the Bengals 17-yard line, Robert Griffin pitches the football after taking a shot from Manny Lawson. Brandon Banks takes the pitch, drops it and recovers quickly in stride with a lucky bounce, picking up five yards. Griffin hands off to Morris on the following play, picking up the first down following a six-yard gain.

Following a timeout by Washington, the Redskins setup first and goal from the Bengals six-yard line. Griffin keeps the football on a designed sweep to the left, falling shy of the endzone on the three-yard gain. They call a similar play to the right, except Griffin throws the football and hits Santana Moss near the front right pylon for the touchdown, tying the game at 24.