The Bengals participated in a joint practice with the Atlanta Falcons on Monday as both teams prepare to face one another in their first preseason game of 2013. Since practice took place in Flowery Branch, Georgia, we didn't have any Cincy Jungle staff members attending and reporting the day's events. We turned to Twitter to gather updates for our readers.
Before we run through Monday's recap, it's important to note that Vincent Rey suffered a knee injury today. The full extent of the injury is unknown, but he was on his feet watching practice after it occurred. It is believed to be a knee ligament sprain.
- NFL Network's Albert Breer was attending Monday's practice. Both he and the Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr. offered a photo at the start of practice.
- The day began with special teams as Kevin Huber punted to the Falcons, and it didn't take long for things to get a little tense on the field.
Hamilton gets yelled at for pushing CB to ground during return— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 5, 2013
Cobi Hamilton with an over zealous push on Peyton Thompson during punt drills— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 5, 2013
- As both teams separated to work on individual drills, a familiar face dropped by to visit with his former teams.
Bratkowski has made it to practice. Talking to Mike Brown on the sideline— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 5, 2013
The former offensive coordinator for the Bengals was let go by the Jacksonville Jaguars after the 2012 season led by head coach Mike Mularkey resulted in a 2-14 record. Bratkowski also spent the 2011 season as the Falcons quarterback coach after being offensive coordinator on the 4-12 Bengals squad of 2010.
- We've already touched upon Marvin Lewis and Falcons head coach Mike Smith being close friends. The two were spotted chatting with former vice president of personnel for the Dallas Cowboys and current NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt.
Falcons coach Mike Smith chatting with Mike Brown and Gil Brandt— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 5, 2013
- As practice moved forward, several highlights and standout players emerged during the afternoon. I've included some updates from Atlanta Journal Constitutional's D. Orlando Ledbetter.
Dalton looking to get into a groove after overthrowing Roundtree— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 5, 2013
Adam Jones and Shaun Prater with good pass breakups in 1 on 1 drills— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 5, 2013
Ryan Whalen with a nice showing through early drills. Smoked Terrence Johnson for deep TD from Josh Johnson. #Bengals— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 5, 2013
Dalton goes 3-6 in first 11 on 11 that included an Eifert drop— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 5, 2013
Not much trouble for Matt Ryan in 11-on-11. Picked on Adam Jones and Reggie Nelson each once throwing to Harry Douglas.— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 5, 2013
Nice break on the out route by rookie CB Robert Alford. Pick six off Dalton.— D. Orlando Ledbetter (@AJCFalcons) August 5, 2013
- At the end of the day, the practice seemed to be enjoyable to the players and coaches as they enjoyed the friendly competition.
Plenty of camaraderie between two teams. More like old friends playing pickup than opponents in game. #Bengals— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 5, 2013
The Bengals have one more practice on Tuesday before preparing for Thursday's preseason match.