The Bengals took the practice field for a second time in Flowery Branch, Georgia on Tuesday. The Bengals were again joined by Thursday's preseason opponent, the Atlanta Falcons. Teams weren't in full pads, but did have helmets and shoulder pads on.
On Monday, we recapped practice with both Cincinnati and Atlanta reporters in attendance in order to take advantage of the unique nature of a joint practice. We've decided to do the same with a few more voices in the mix.
- Fortunately, there were no injuries to any Cincinnati players today. The Bengals experienced an injury with Vincent Rey during practice on Monday, and it didn't take long for the Falcons to experience an unfortunate setback on Tuesday.
Falcons OT Mike Johnson down on field— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 6, 2013
Johnson was carted off the field and left in an ambulance after what appeared to be an injury to his left leg.
- To lighten the mood, the Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr posted a picture of Jon Gruden visiting practice. The brother of Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and former head coach of the Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers was chatting with Bengals owner Mike Brown in the photo. According to Dehner, he was wearing a self-deprecating hat for the afternoon.
- Two very differing perspectives emerged between the Enquirer's Joe Reedy and Daniel Cox of AtlantaFalcons.com.
Bengals D line again having its way with Falcons O line— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 6, 2013
- Jay Adams with AtlantaFalcons.com also indicated that Dalton had his work cut out for him halfway through practice.
- Between the two teams practicing, the Falcons were the first to reach the end zone with the first team offense. Matt Ryan completed an impressive six of seven attempts.
Falcons First offense goes 6 of 7 and scores TD on Bengals defense— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) August 6, 2013
Andy Dalton appears to be taking and comparing notes from Matt Ryan.
For second straight day, Andy Dalton and Matt Ryan chatting each other up at break in practice.— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 6, 2013
- Orson Charles continued wearing many hats on Tuesday.
Charles getting work at TE with third group; makes some nice catches.— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 6, 2013
- We discussed quarterback Josh Johnson being currently favored as the backup quarterback in Cincinnati. It seems as though Johnson is still trending in the right direction.
Josh Johnson with a couple really nice throws. Great touch dropping third-and-10 corner over DB to Whalen.— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 6, 2013
- Some other notable reports as practice concluded:
Jermaine Gresham shined during 11-on-11 two-min drill. Caught two balls deep over middle.— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 6, 2013
Harrison picks Ryan off Maualuga tip in red zone— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 6, 2013
Practice wraps, Eifert finishes very strong. Two TDs, including diving back shoulder grab. Gumby-like body control. #Bengals— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) August 6, 2013
Bengals D solid 11 on 11 vs. Ryan:— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 6, 2013
Geathers Geno with sacks andLHall pass defense— Geoff Hobson (@GeoffHobsonCin) August 6, 2013