Despite the encouraging news that the Cincinnati Bengals were making a major push to sign defensive tackle Geno Atkins to a long-term deal, nothing is actually imminent, writes Mike Florio with Pro Football Talk.
Yes, the Bengals and defensive tackle Geno Atkins have been talking about extending a rookie deal that expires after the coming season.
No, a deal isn’t on the brink of happening.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, nothing is imminent between the Bengals and Atkins. The talks, which we’re told have been occurring for months, have no clear timeline.
Atkins is entering the final year on his four-year rookie deal. However, don't expect the Bengals to let Atkins leave easily. If a deal isn't signed by then, Atkins will be playing for the Bengals through 2014.
More from Cincy Jungle:
- Bengals making a "major push" to sign Geno Atkins to a long-term deal
- Preseason Game No. 1: Bengals at Falcons
- Bengals Hard Knocks: The Struggles of Making Reality a Story
- Players not expected to play against the Falcons
- ESPN's John Clayton Gives His Take on The Bengals After Visiting Monday's Practice