Our own Anthony Cosenza and yours truly have been selected as members of the press to cover the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in Los Angeles this Saturday. We have been granted access to the practices as well as press access to the game. We will be spending the game rubbing elbows with other members of the press and watching the scouts check out the future NFL draft picks.
Past players have been Tony Dye, J.K Schaffer, Trevor Robinson, Terrence Stephens and Bruce Taylor.
The game will be shown nationally on ESPN2.
With full press credentials this will be an interesting look into how the media navigates the game and post game interviews. We will share as much as possible about the event and experience during the game on twitter, as well as after the game on CincyJungle.
All of the players in the game are draft eligible and many will be in camp for an NFL team next season. This is a great opportunity to see these guys play one last game against college level competition as they try and make an impression to start the next phase in their career.
Some of the prospects I am interested in scouting are as follows:
MARQUIS SPRUILL - Linebacker, Syracuse
- Named 2013 All-ACC Honorable Mention
- Tied for 12th in the ACC with 14.5 tackles for loss
- Ranks second in program history with 41.0 tackles for a loss
Stephon Robertson - ILB, James Madison
- 2013 ALL-CAA football first team
- Runner up for the Buck Buchanan Award for the nation's top defensive player
- Dudley Award winner given to the best Division I football player in Virginia
Brad Daly - OLB, Montana State
- Daly received the Buck Buchanan award, given by The Sports Network to the top defensive player in the FCS
- First-team All-American by The Associated Press
- Big Sky Conference co-defensive player of the year
C.J. Barnett - SS, Ohio State
- 2013 ALL-BIG TEN honorable mention
KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS - OLB Boston College
- All-ACC honors where had 104 tackles
- Lead ACC and ranked fifth among all active players in career solo tackles
Cornelius Lucas - OT, Kansas State
- ALL-BIG 12 honorable mention
- Associated Press ALL-BIG 12 second team
There are also some prospects with some local connections:
Kenny Guiton - QB, Ohio State
- The Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award National Player of the Week
- BIG TEN co-offensive player of the week
Ryan McGrath - OL, Ohio University
Brendan Kay - QB, Cincinnati
- American Athletic Conference Player of the Week
Avery Williamson - LB, Kentucky
- Associated Press ALL-SEC second team