The Cincinnati Bengals just aren't a popular team.
At least that's what you infer after the NFL Players Association released the top jersey sales in the first quarter this year (March 1-May 31). Of the top 50 jersey sales in the first quarter, none are from Cincinnati. Not A.J. Green, not Andy Dalton, Leon Hall, Geno Atkins or Orson "freaking" Charles!
Maybe that's a poor deduction of popularity. None of the top-50 include Steelers or Ravens players, but two Browns: Quarterback Johnny Manziel and tight end Jordan Cameron. Rookies make sense during that stretch -- after all, they are brand new.. but Cameron?
Here's the top-10 list (and the top-50 if you click here).
- Johnny Manziel*, Cleveland Browns
- Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
- Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers
- Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks
- Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
- J.J. Watt, Houston Texans
- Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks
- Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
- Tom Brady, New England Patriots
- Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
*Represents sales from May 8-31, 2014