A run through of the stories surrounding the Bengals as Week 10 is upon us.
+ Carlos Dunlap wants records but that's not the narrative here
Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap wants to make history, not only breaking Coy Bacon's unofficial franchise record of 22 sacks, but Michael Strahan's league record 22.5. "I want to focus on the league one, and I feel like those milestones along the way will come with it," Dunlap said. "That's why I try to focus on the big one. That way you can catch all those milestones along the way. Don't get me wrong. I've looked (the team record) up as well."
"I'm going for 23 (sacks). That's always been my goal since I got in the league, to get that sack record," Dunlap said. "Michael Strahan's got it.
After eight games this season, Cincinnati ranks fifth in the NFL with 23 quarterback sacks, three more than their total from 2014. Dunlap, with a sack in all but two games this season, leads the team with 8.5, followed by defensive tackle Geno Atkins who has six.
"Fortunately, we're in a good place right now, but it's a long season and we've got a long way to go," Dunlap said Thursday night. As a defensive unit, last year we only had 20 sacks, so we have that chip on our shoulder. There's a long way to go, so hopefully there's more to come."
+ Cedric Ogbuehi and Sean Porter expected to make practice debuts
Rookie offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi is expected to make his debut at practice on Tuesday, according to reports. Ogbuehi, selected in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft after tearing an ACL during last season's Liberty Bowl, has been on the team's Non-Football Injury list, which has rules similar to the Physically Unable to Perform list regarding practice schedules and eligibility requirements. Linebacker Sean Porter, who suffered a knee injury last year against New England, will also make his debut this week, also according to reports. Once they practice, Cincinnati has 21 days to make a decision on both players -- activate them to the 53-man roster, release them or leave them on their respective injury lists.
+ George Iloka challenges fine
Believing that he contacted tight end Heath Miller shoulder-to-shoulder (with a graze of the head due to momentum), safety George Iloka is appealing the league's $23,152 fine against him -- standard protocol (expanding pay schedule based on number of infractions) when a player receivers a personal foul. "I thought it was a clean hit. I didn't leave my feet," Iloka said, per Bengals.com, having already initiated the appeals process. "I made contact with my shoulder to his shoulder. In football, your head will hit just because of momentum. It will make them touch. But I didn't target his neck or head area." Despite the argument, the league isn't expected to wipe out the infraction; judgement will probably be rendered in the next few weeks (usually these things stay private unless the player mentions it).
+ Waiting on Andre Smith and Rey Maualuga
Andre Smith (concussion) and Rey Maualuga (calf) became victims during Cincinnati's vicious 16-10 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. Eric Winston started for Smith on Thursday Night against the Browns while Vincent Rey, perhaps the most versatile linebacker in franchise history, covered for Maualuga. According to Pro Football Focus, despite allowing a quarterback sack against the Browns, Winston was more than serviceable on Thursday with a +1.1 overall score. According to reports, Cincinnati will practice on Tuesday, shifting forward their routine by a day because they are scheduled to host Houston on Monday Night Football this week. It's not significant for either player to practice on Tuesday, however Smith's participation even in a limited role will, more or less, promote his clearance from the NFL concussion protocol.