The Bengals and Texans each have one player on their rosters who was previously on the other team's roster. Bengals long snapper Clark Harris spent some time with the Texans early in his career in 2008 and 2009 on both the active roster and practice squad. Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph spent five years with the Bengals from 2006-2010, during which he was an integral member of the Bengals' defense. During his time in Cincinnati, Joseph recorded 222 tackles and 14 interceptions. Many of the current Bengals played with Joseph including Leon Hall who he lined up opposite of from 2007-2010. The duo were among the NFL's best when they played together. "Since day one, we’ve been locker mates, and really how we get along off the field helps with how well we communicate and get along on the field," Hall said of Joseph in 2009. "We kind of got the same personalities, we like and dislike the same things. So we just naturally became good friends on the team." Joseph is now a member of the opposition and has not been kind to the Bengals since leaving Cincinnati, like last year when he scored a pick six against his former team in Houston. This season, Joseph has started every game for the Texans and has 33 tackles, 10 passes deflected and 0 interceptions.
Beyond that, the next most notable connection between the teams is Andy Dalton being from Texas and playing college football in Texas at Texas Christian University. A win against his hometown team is sure to mean a little more than typical games.
Bengals with Houston-area connections:
- Bengals QB Andy Dalton is from Katy, Texas, went to Katy High school and played at TCU.
- Bengals OT Cedric Ogbuehi is from Allen, Texas and played at Texas A&M.
- Bengals LB PJ Dawson is from Dallas, Texas and played at TCU.
- Bengals S George Iloka is from Houston (Kempner HS).
- Bengals G Trey Hopkins (practice squad) is from Houston, played at North Shore High School and played at the University of Texas.
- Bengals LB Sean Porter (Reserve/PUP) is from Schertz, Texas and played at Texas A&M.
- Bengals running backs coach Kyle Caskey is from Daingerfield, Texas, and played tight end at Texas A&M from 1997-98.
- Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel played at Ohio State from 1993-96 and coached there from 2011-13
Texans with Cincinnati-area connections:
- Texans G Brandon Brooks played at Miami University (Ohio).
- Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel played at Western Kentucky from 1966-69 and coached there from '70-74.
- Texans DT Brandon Dunn played at the University of Louisville and is from Louisville.
- Texans C Greg Mancz is from Cincinnati (Anderson High School) and played at the University of Toledo.
- Texans ILB Brian Peters is from Pickerington, Ohio.
- Texans OLB John Simon is from Youngstown, Ohio and played at Ohio State.
- Texans QB Zac Dysert (practice squad) is from Ada, Ohio and played at Miami-Ohio.
- Texans WR Cecil Shorts III played at Mount Union.
Texans who were Bengals
- Texans CB Johnathan Joseph was a first-round draft pick of the Bengals (24th overall) in 2006, and played with Cincinnati from 2006-10.
Bengals who were Texans
- Bengals LS Clark Harris played for the Texans in 2008 and briefly in 2009 both on their practice squad and 53-man roster.
- Bengals defensive backs coach Vance Joseph coached for the Texans from 2011-13.
- Texans Defensive Assistant Anthony Pleasant played for Baltimore with Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis on staff in 1996.
- Texans Linebackers Coach Mike Vrabel played for Pittsburgh with Bengals Defensive Line Coach Jay Hayes on staff from 1999-2000.
- Texans Running Backs Coach Charles London was a pro scout in Philadelphia with Bengals Wide Receivers Coach James Urban on staff in 2010.
- Texans P Shane Lechler played for Oakland with Bengals Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson on staff in 2010 and then as head coach in 2011.
- Texans Head Coach Bill O’Brien, QB Brian Hoyer, and NT Vince Wilfork were in New England with Bengals WR Brandon Tate from 2009-10.
- Texans Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin coached for the New York Jets while Bengals Defensive Backs Coach Mark Carrier (2010-11) and K Mike Nugent (2007-08) were there.
- Texans CB Jumal Rolle played for Green Bay with Bengals LB A.J. Hawk from 2013- 14.
- Texans Special Teams Coordinator Bob Ligashesky coached for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers while Bengals DE Wallace Gilberry played there in 2012.
- Texans Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel and Defensive Assistant Anthony Pleasant coached for Kansas City while Bengals DE Wallace Gilberry played there from 2010-11.
- Texans Linebackers Coach Mike Vrabel played for Kansas City with Bengals DE Wallace Gilberry in 2010.
- Texans QB Brian Hoyer played for Pittsburgh with Bengals LB Chris Carter in 2012.