The Bengals don't have too many connections with the 49ers, but there are two 49ers players who were once on the Bengals' roster. One of those players is Jerome Simpson, who was drafted by the Bengals in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft. Simpson will be forever remembered for his ridiculous forward flip into the endzone.
Unfortunately, he's also remembered for his off-the-field antics, which have cost him both financially on on-the-field throughout his NFL career. The other Bengal turned 49er is Ahmad Brooks who was drafted by the Bengals in the third round of the 2006 Supplemental Draft. Brooks started in 7 games from 2006-2007 with the Bengals recording 2 sacks and 26 tackles in that span. Coincidentally, Brooks also had issues abiding by the law before, during and after his time with the Bengals. Simpson has only played in four games this season and has five receptions on 18 targets for 54 yards.
- Bengals defensive backs coach Vance Joseph was an assistant with the 49ers from 2005-10.
Bengals with California connections:
- Bengals H-back Ryan Hewitt played at Stanford.
- Bengals LB Rey Maualuga is from Eureka, California.
- Bengals CB Asa Jackson (practice squad) is from Sacramento, California.
49ers with Ohio connections:
- 49ers G/T Alex Boone played at Ohio State.
- 49ers DT Cornellius "Tan" Carradine’s hometown is Cincinnati and he attended Taft High School.
- 49ers TE Garrett Celek’s hometown is Cincinnati and he attended La Salle High School.
- 49ers RB Carlos Hyde (Injured Reserve) is from Cincinnati and he played for Ohio State.
- 49ers offensive assistant Joe Scola was director of player development at the University of Kentucky from 2013-14.
- 49ers assistant offensive line coach Eric Wolford was the head coach at Youngstown State from 2010-14.
- 49ers DT Quinton Dial, 49ers WR DeAndrew White, Bengals QB AJ McCarron and CB Dre Kirkpatrick were teammates at Alabama.
- 49ers DL Arik Armstead played at Oregon with Bengals OT Jake Fisher and CB Troy Hill.
- 49ers RB Shaun Draughn played at North Carolina with Bengals RB Giovani Bernard and C Russell Bodine.
- 49ers S Eric Reid played at LSU with Bengals RB Jeremy Hill.
- 49er LB Shayne Skov and S Jaquiski Tartt played at Stanford with Bengals h-back Ryan Hewitt.
- 49rs NT Ian Williams played at Notre Dame with Bengals TE Tyler Eifert.
49ers who were Bengals
- 49ers LB Ahmad Brooks played his first two NFL seasons with the Bengals from 2005-06.
- 49ers WR Jerome Simpson was drafted by the Bengals in 2008 and played with the team from 2008-11.