Labor Day weekend is a bittersweet one around the NFL. It signals the upcoming onset of opening day kickoffs, which undoubtedly excites football fans around the world. However, it also is a weekend that sends players packing and searching for new jobs, or lesser Practice Squad roles.
News has begun to trickle through various social media platforms and we have the updates from the moves made by other teams aside from the Bengals. Keep in mind that clubs might still be adding some of these names once they hit the open market. We'll continue to update the list as it happens.
- The Steelers cut veteran center Doug Legursky. It's an interesting move, given that Markice Pouncey, the starter, is out for an extended period of time with a broken ankle.
- The Giants have released wide receiver James Jones after picking him up this offseason. Jones was a productive player for the Packers years ago, but has bounced around the past couple of years with stops in Oakland and New York.
- Quarterbacks are falling like leaves in the Jets organization. Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson were both released Saturday. Johnson was previously with the Bengals this year and neither could hang on to a club that needs quarterbacks after Geno Smith fractured his jaw.
- Tampa Bay has released defensive end Da'Quan Bowers. After once being projected to be a top-five pick, word of a degenerative knee issue surfaced and he slipped into the second round. He never made an impact since coming into the league.
- Adam Caplan of ESPN reports the Ravens are attempting to trade undrafted rookie center Nick Easton to the 49ers. Easton's agent confirmed the trade a little while later.
- After trading Matt Barkley to the Cardinals, the Eagles let go of the enigmatic Tim Tebow. He had been playing pretty well in the preseason and some thought Chip Kelly would find a niche for him, but he's now a free agent.
- The Cleveland Browns cut quarterback Thad Lewis. The journeyman made a name for himself with the Buffalo Bills, but failed to supplant Josh McCown or Johnny Manziel.
- The Detroit Lions will be releasing tight end Joseph Fauria. The big guy out of UCLA was a big red zone threat as a rookie, but failed to grow with the team of late.
- One would think the Panthers are hungry for able wide receivers, but they cut two on Saturday. Brenton Bersin and Mike Brown are looking for new homes.
- A corner is gone in New England with their release of veteran Robert McClain.
- Aside from the release of Tebow, the Eagles let go of former fourth round cornerback, Jaylen Watkins.
- The Patriots also released veteran wide receiver Reggie Wayne on Saturday. Some sources say Wayne asked the team for his release.
- Baltimore released two notable veterans in offensive lineman Jah Reid and defensive back/return specialist Asa Jackson.
Keep track of the Bengals' roster cuts here.