With the 2015 NFL regular season kicking off this week, we're finally getting back to football after an offseason that seems to get longer and longer every year.
For some teams, however, this may be their final year with their current head coach. Each year, the NFL sees around 5-7 coaches fired from their respective NFL teams, and Bovada released their initial list of odds for head coaches who will be shown the door during or after this season.
At the top, Mike Pettine is no surprise given he's the head coach of one of the most dysfunctional franchises in professional sports. The same is true of Jay Gruden in Washington, who I would personally have as the likeliest coach to be fired this year.
As for the Cincinnati Bengals, don't expect to see them firing the winningest head coach in franchise history anytime soon. Still, Marvin Lewis is tied for the 10th-best odds to be fired after this season. Lewis comes in at +2500 odds to get canned, though the Bengals would need to have a pretty disastrous 2015 season for him to lose his job.
It is a bit surprising that New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has a significantly better chance of being fired than Lewis with +1600 odds, the fifth highest odds of any NFL coach. After all, Payton has a 79-43 overall record (.648), including a 6-4 postseason mark (.600) and a Super Bowl win after the franchise had won only one playoff game prior to his arrival.
Compare that to Lewis' 100–89–2 regular-season mark (.526) and 0-6 playoff record, and you can see why it's a bit surprising to see oddsmakers think Payton has a better chance of being fired than Lewis.
Here is the full set of odds:
1. Mike Pettine, Cleveland Browns: +275
2. Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins +300
3. Ken Whisenhunt, Tennessee Titans +900
4. Joe Philbin, Miami Dolphins +1200
5. Gus Bradley, Jacksonville Jaguars +1600
5. Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers +1600
5. Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints +1600
8. Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers +2000
8. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants +2000
10. Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers +2500
10. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals +2500
10. Jeff Fisher, St. Louis Rams +2500
10. Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans +2500
10. Todd Bowles, New York Jets, +2500
15. Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders +3300
15. Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills +3300
15. Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles +3300
15. Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions +3300
19. Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys +5000