With the 31st and final first round selection in the 2016 Cincy Jungle Community NFL Mock Draft, Denver Broncos GM, 58sama, selects...
Paxton Lynch, Memphis, QB
If you are quiet enough, you might actually hear John Elway screaming in joy. If this imaginary scenario actually happened, that is.
The Broncos have several needs they can address with the final pick in the first round. They could go DT or LB, however, with the way our mock draft played out, the Broncos will go with a player who could be their franchise quarterback. I believe that player is Paxton Lynch.
The Broncos lost several key pieces this offseason to free agency and none of them hurt the most than losing Brock Osweiler. Who was thought to be their starting QB in 2016.
Paxton Lynch has a very similar, if not identical, stature as Osweiler. Both quarterbacks are measured at 6'7" and weigh around 240 pounds. Lynch has the potential to be franchise QB and some experts believe he has the biggest upside of all the QBs in the draft. Another key element in why this pick is so attractive to the Broncos is Lynch's athletic ability. Lynch is considered a duel threat because his ability to runner outside of the pocket and that will fit well in the Broncos offensive scheme. If given time to sit and learn from Mark Sanchez and if the Broncos defense can come close to performing like they did last year, I fully expect Lynch to break the starting lineup up at some point this coming year. I don't think Lynch is a player who can come right in and take the starting position and will need to be transitioned in. In the long run, this could be a home run for the Broncos.
***Spoiler Alert*** With the recent trades that allows the Rams and Eagles to pick 1 and 2 in the draft, Lynch's stock draft has shot up and he probably won't come close to falling to the Broncos. Rumors suggest that the Browns are very interested in Lynch as well as the Jets. So, if the Broncos really want him, they will need to trade up. Conventional wisdom tells me the Broncos will not trade high enough to get Lynch and will probably settle with a DT.
Mock Draft Order:
1. Titans - OT Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss
2. Browns - QB Jared Goff, California
3. Chargers - CB Jalen Ramsey, FSU
4. Cowboys - DE Joey Bosa, OSU
5. Jaguars - LB Myles Jack, UCLA
6. Ravens - RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
7. 49ers - DL DeForest Buckner, Oregon
8. Eagles - CB Vernon Hargreaves, Florida
9. Buccaneers - DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson
10. Giants - OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
11. Bears - LB Leonard Floyd, Georgia
12. Saints - DT Sheldon Rankins, Louisville
13. Dolphins - LB Reggie Ragland, Alabama
14. Raiders - CB Mackenzie Alexander, Clemson
15. Rams - QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
16. Lions - DE Kevin Dodd, Clemson
17. Falcons - LB Darron Lee, OSU
18. Colts - DT A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama
19. Bills - DE Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky
20. Jets - OT Jack Conklin, Michigan State
21. Redskins - DT Jarran Reed, Alabama
22. Texans - WR Corey Coleman, Baylor
23. Vikings - WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
24. Bengals - WR Josh Doctson, TCU
25. Steelers - DT Andrew Billings, Baylor
26. Seahawks - OT Taylor Decker, OSU
27. Packers - DT Vernon Butler, Louisiana Tech
28. Chiefs - CB William Jackson III, Houston
29. Cardinals - C Ryan Kelly, Alabama
30. Panthers - CB Kendall Fuller, Virginia Tech
31. Broncos - QB Paxton Lynch, Memphis