The NFL has stressed in the past their desire to have the Pro Bowl in different locations, and now we have a new one for 2017.
According to Bloomberg News, the NFL is moving the 2017 Pro Bowl to Orlando after it was previously held in Honolulu and Arizona in recent years.
The National Football League is moving its Pro Bowl to Orlando from Honolulu, which has hosted the all-star event every year but twice since 1979, three people familiar with the matter said.
Orlando is among four cities bidding to host the game, joining Honolulu, Houston and Sydney, Australia, according to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, who declined to comment on the Florida city being selected.
The people were granted anonymity because the NFL hasn’t announced the change.
Honolulu has hosted every Pro Bowl since 1979 with the exception of 2010, when it was in Miami, and 2015, when it was in Arizona. Those years saw the annual NFL All-Star Game played in the same stadium as the Super Bowl, making it easier for fans and players to attend and enjoy the festivities for both events.
Steve Hogan, the CEO of Florida Citrus Sports, told the Orlando Sentinel this offseason that his organization was trying to bring the 2017 Pro Bowl to Orlando, so it looks like a mission accomplished for him.
"We've been very aggressively trying to showcase Orlando," Hogan said. "We believe it is the best city to host the Pro Bowl, and the NFL has given us the opportunity to pitch our city. We hope when all is said and done, we're going to be hosting the game."
Houston is also reportedly interested in hosting the Pro Bowl in 2017 since it will be played the Sunday before Super Bowl LI kicks off in Houston next February. Either way, it looks like the Pro Bowl won't be in Honolulu next year, which makes one wonder if this will lead to a drop in player attendance and more alternates making the trip.