The Bengals had an interesting split among offensive and defensive snaps on Thursday in their win over the Dolphins. The Bengals' offense thoroughly dominated time of possession, so the offense played a total of 70 snaps while the defense only played 40. That allowed the defense to have the edge as they were able to stay more fresh and rested throughout the game while the offense played for 38 minutes.
Here are some takeaways before we get to the full snap count below.
- When Clint Boling left the game due to a shoulder injury, a variety of backups were used in his place for the remaining snaps. Jake fisher, T.J. Johnson and Eric Winston all saw snaps in relief of Boling. Fisher was the first off the bench.
- Tyler Kroft played two more snaps than C.J. Uzomah, but it's clear Dalton favors Uzomah as a passing target. Kroft hasn't been targeted in two weeks while Uzomah was the second leading receiver on Thursday, only behind the masterful A.J. Green.
- The workload between Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard was pretty evenly split with Hill playing 36 snaps and Bernard 34.
- Ryan Hewitt finally saw a solid workload, playing 39% of snaps.
- When you only play a total of 45 defensive snaps, less of a rotation is needed, but using one keeps the players' energy up and their play effective. Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap were the only two defensive lineman who played 80% or more of snaps.
- The addition of Vontaze Burfict to the lineup allowed the rest of the linebackers to take it easier than they have been. Burfict played more snaps than any other linebacker, and says he could have played more.
- With Dre Kirkpatrick out, Darqueze Dennard played 98% of defensive snaps and Josh Shaw played 64% of snaps. That likely would have been higher had he not been injured during the game.
|Position||Player||Snap Count||Percentage of Time|
|Offensive Line||Kevin Zeitler||70||100%|
|Tight Ends||Tyler Eifert||INACTIVE||INACTIVE|
|Wide Receiver||A.J. Green||59||84%|
|Running Back||Jeremy Hill||36||51%|
|Defensive Tackle||Geno Atkins||39||87%|
|Defensive End||Margus Hunt||23||51%|