clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bengals cornerback Adam Jones receives plea deal in aftermath of January arrest

Adam Jones’ legal dilemma seems to be coming to an end, for now.

NFL: Adam Jones Archive Sam Greene-USA TODAY Sports

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam Jones appeared in court on Tuesday morning for a hearing in regards to his January 3, 2017 arrest.

Jones was facing misdemeanor charges of assault, disorderly conduct and obstructing official business. On Tuesday, the assault and disorderly conduct charges were dropped by Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Dwane Mallory as Jones pleaded guilty to obstructing official business, a second-degree misdemeanor offense.

Jones was sentenced to two days of jail time on the obstructing official business count, which has already been served in the days following his arrest.

"I'd like to apologize for my actions that night, to the police officer, that is not an example of me or how I want my kids to see me. I truly apologize for what I did, for my actions. I'm trying to get better every day," Jones said in court on Tuesday.

"I don't take into account celebrity," Mallory told The Associated Press. "I have 99 percent non-celebrities in my court."

Jones has received the full support of head coach Marvin Lewis and owner Mike Brown following his arrest in January. There have been no signs that his spot on the team's roster is in jeopardy as a result of his actions off-the-field. Still, Jones still could face discipline from the NFL, which could include a suspension. Considering his lengthy suspension history, it’s not out of the question at all that this arrest results in NFL discipline.

As a recap, Jones was arrested at the Millennium Hotel in downtown Cincinnati around 12:25 a.m. on January 3. He was charged with three misdemeanors for assault, disorderly conduct and obstructing official business, and a felony count of harassment with a bodily substance. The felony charge occurred once he was in custody, but the charge was dropped back in March.

Jones was allegedly beating on hotel room doors when security came to check out what was going on. At that time, Jones allegedly pushed and poked a hotel security employee in the eye. The police were then called, at which point things seemingly got worse. Per police documents, Jones head butted and kicker a police officer while resisting arrest. He eventually did get into a police car and was taken to jail. There’s considerable video footage of the ride to jail as well as the moments before the ride. Before Jones got to the Millennium Hotel he was reportedly kicked out of a Cincinnati club, according to a TMZ report.

Jones is currently undergoing anger management, which played a role in how his case was handled and was a factor in the dismissal of his felony charge in March. Jones has had a whirlwind offseason, but let’s hope the worst of it is over and he can focus solely on football moving forward.