Adam Jones’ arrest has been one of the focal points of the Cincinnati Bengals’ 2017 offseason, but it finally appears as though things are getting somewhat back to normal.
Here’s a brief list of events from the video, though it’s worth watching the video (which is NSFW) if you have time.
- 0:35 — Sgt. Jarrod Cotton reads Jones his Miranda rights
- 1:45 — Jones claims he did not assault anyone
- 2:55 — Cotton says he needs to search Jones, to which Jones responds “I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
- 3:40 — Jones tells Cotton to let him go and attempts to pull away from the officer
- 3:50 — Jones tells the police to remove his handcuffs and to stop touching him
- 4:45 — Jones curses out Cotton and attempts to get officers off of him as they pin him against a police cruiser
- 5:25 -- Jones curses out Cotton again, claiming he would spit on Cotton if he could
- 6:15 — Cotton interviews the security guard who alleged that Jones assaulted him.
The security guard tells Cotton that Jones tried to poke him in the eyes, that Jones stole his phone and that Jones gave the phone he stole to a woman who was with him. The security guard also claims the woman later returned the phone to him.
- 7:15 — The woman mentioned by the security guard claims Jones did not assault the security guard. She also says she never returned a phone to the security guard, to which he responds “yes you did.”
As Cotton walked away from the woman, she could be heard saying “all I heard when you started calling the police was he spit...[inaudible]” to the security guard.
- 7:50 — Cotton speaks to an officer who claims he knows Jones and spoke as though he witnessed the event. The officer said he did not see an assault and did not see Jones try to poke the security officer in the eyes. The officer repeatedly states that Jones “kept jigging” at the security guard. The officer also states that he told Jones to leave the man alone, seemingly for Jones’ own convenience and safety.
For Bengals fans, Jones’ January offseason has been a humiliating one — one most fans would certainly like to forget.
The Bengals, to the chagrin of many people, doubled down on their commitment to Jones back in March. Since then, they selected controversial Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon in the second round of the NFL draft and watched as TMZ released a controversial video of Jones lamenting an incident in which an 18-year-old hit the veteran cornerback’s Rolls-Royce.
That’s a slap in the face to many fans who would have liked to see the team release Jones following his arrest earlier this year. But at this point, with the Bengals backing Jones, public outcry clearly isn’t going to change the team’s mind.
Whether fans like it or not, the Bengals seem far more concerned with results on the football field than they do public relations. This mantra will certainly be frustrating for some fans, as the Bengals are metaphorically throwing a meatball toward the national media, which will certainly pounce on common narratives that both describe the Bengals as a team notorious for employing players who can be headcases off-the-field and a team that gives multiple chances to just about anyone, regardless of circumstances.
Though, this should be an encouraging sign for fans strictly concerned with the Bengals’ prospects of returning to the playoffs and potentially ending the longest playoff losing streak in NFL history. Cincinnati’s backing of Jones and selection of Mixon clearly demonstrate a desire to win games as soon as possible.
For what it’s worth, Jones apologized in court on Tuesday. He seems intent on putting the past behind him and moving forward as he looks to improve himself as an individual and as a role model.
"I'd like to apologize for my actions that night, to the police officer, that is not an example of me or how I want my kids to see me, Jones said. “I truly apologize for what I did, for my actions. I'm trying to get better every day.”