The Cincinnati Bengals had one player honored in the annual Pro Football Writers of America awards. It came in the form of Geno Atkins being named to the All-AFC Team.
Atkins finished the 2017 season with nine sacks, 10 tackles for losses and 20 quarterback hits. Pro Football Focus rated Atkins as the second-best interior defensive lineman in the NFL.
This marks the third-straight season in which Atkins has made the PFWA All-AFC Team. He’s accounted for 29 sacks and 120 tackles over the past three seasons. Only Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams has more sacks over that span among defensive tackles.
Atkins was also named to the 2018 NFL Pro Bowl.
2017 PFWA ALL-AFC TEAM
- QB – Tom Brady, New England Patriots&
- RB – Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers; Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs
- WR – Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers; DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans
- TE – Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
- C – Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh Steelers
- G – David DeCastro, Pittsburgh Steelers’ Kelechi Osemele, Oakland Raiders
- T – Taylor Lewan, Tennessee Titans; Mitchell Schwartz, Kansas City Chiefs and Alejandro Villanueva, Pittsburgh Steelers (tie)
- DE – Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers; Calais Campbell, Jacksonville Jaguars
- DT – Geno Atkins, Cincinnati Bengals; Malik Jackson, Jacksonville Jaguars
- OLB – Jadeveon Clowney, Houston Texans; Von Miller, Denver Broncos
- MLB – Ryan Shazier, Pittsburgh Steelers
- CB – A.J. Bouye, Jacksonville Jaguars; Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville Jaguars
- S – Kevin Byard, Tennessee Titans; Eric Weddle, Baltimore Ravens
- PK – Justin Tucker, Baltimore Ravens
- P – Brett Kern, Tennessee Titans
- KR – Dion Lewis, New England Patriots
- PR – Michael Campanaro, Baltimore Ravens
- ST – Matthew Slater, New England Patriots