Carlos Dunlap has been one of the most consistent players on the Bengals roster over the last several years. In the past three years, he has made two Pro Bowl appearances, appeared on the NFL’s Top 100 player list, and has become second all-time in sacks in Bengals history.
Dunlap will be a free agent in 2019, if the Bengals don’t do something about that sooner, and will become an even richer man than he already is.
The Bengals veteran defensive end is not attending OTAs this year, and is instead spending time in both Miami and his hometown of North Charleston, SC, where he ran a football camp for the youth in his community.
Its normal for a veteran player to miss OTAs in a contract year, as an injury could cost these guys millions of dollars. Given the number of season-ending injuries we have already seen in OTAs this year around the league, this seems like a safe option.
But will this effect Dunlap’s contract status in 2019? He doesn’t think so.
Cincinnati Bengals DE Carlos Dunlap today at his camp in North Charleston on the pressure of this being a contract year for him. pic.twitter.com/FlDjFOAJEw— Scott Eisberg (@SEisbergWCIV) June 2, 2018
“I’m not worried about a contract year, man,” Dunlap told Scott Eisberg at his football and cheer camp. “You just go out here and you just play football. The film that I put out there already speaks for itself I feel like I’ve already earned the respect of my peers, as I’ve been fortunate enough to be accomplished enough, to be an all star, to be in the pro bowl. So the film speaks for itself. I’ll just continue to put good film out there and let whatever happens happen.”
In his first eight years in the league, Dunlap has already put together enough highlights to earn himself a nice new deal, whether it is in Cincinnati or not. He will look to make his case stronger this season, though the Bengals certainly could offer him a new deal before the 2018 season rolls around. Dunlap has done nothing but prove to the Bengals they should be doing everything they can to keep him in Cincinnati.
Michael Johnson said last week he believes Dunlap will “be back ready to roll,” which could come as soon as June 12 for mandatory minicamp.
On a different note, it looks like Dunlaps’ camp and family fun day this weekend were huge successes with more than 200 kids showing up for the festivities. Johnson was also there to support his teammate and make an impact with the children in attendance.
7th Annual Youth Football and Cheer Camp was Blessed to Be Another Success! Thank you to all the parents that allowed there kids to come out, over 200+kids. Thank you to my to all of my friends around the league, @puertoricanbobby , volunteers and Cheerleading coaches the camp wouldn’t be what it is without you ALL!!!! #LowCountryFootballCamp #CD96
#LowCountry Camp Weekend #MoreThanFootball. • • • • • • • • • • • • • Thank you Chief Reggie for allowing me and the kids sit down with your officers to air out both sides of story so that we can Start cutting the tension between Law Enforcement and the Community. • • • • • • • • • • • • Also to my Teammates and Volunteers who came with me to #MUSCchildrensHospital and Habitat For Humanity. Spent some time with a few of the kids there very humbling experiences. Then afterwards went to help organize the supplies at Habitat For Humanity. • • • • • • • • • • • Last but not Least s/o to #boeingsc For the all Access tour of what it takes to build/ create these global planes. For details on upcoming events and opportunities to get involved follow my foundation page @carlosdunlapfoundation