NFL Films’ ’Carson Palmer: A Football Life’ premieres on Friday, September 14 at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Palmer is the third Bengals figure to be featured on the show in the last few years after Chad Johnson and Paul Brown both were documented on the show recently.
Palmer was the Bengals’ No. 1 overall draft pick in the 2003 NFL draft and retired from the NFL after the 2017 season.
“Not everybody gets to win the Super Bowl. The adversity I went through I wouldn’t change because it’s made me who I am,” Palmer says in the show.
The one-hour show produced by NFL Films features sitdown interviews with Palmer, former teammates like Chad Johnson and Jon Kitna, former coaches including Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson as well as family members and more.
Among the topics discussed in Carson Palmer: A Football Life are:
- The decision to remain in Orange County as a child so he could play quarterback in high school
- Nearly getting benched while at USC and his Heisman Trophy-winning senior season
- Sitting behind Jon Kitna his entire rookie season after being selected with the number one overall pick
- His career with the Cincinnati Bengals and the trade to the Oakland Raiders after he had announced he would retire
- Finishing his playing career with the Arizona Cardinals and moving to Sun Valley, Idaho
Carson Palmer: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people and more:
- Carson Palmer
- Shaelyn Palmer – Wife
- Jordan Palmer – Brother
- Larry Fitzgerald – Arizona Cardinals teammate
- Chad Johnson – Cincinnati Bengals teammate
- Jon Kitna – Cincinnati Bengals teammate
- Marvin Lewis – Cincinnati Bengals head coach
- Pete Carroll – Former USC head coach
- Bruce Arians – Former Arizona Cardinals head coach
- Hue Jackson – Former USC, Cincinnati Bengals & Oakland Raiders coach
- Michael Bidwill – Arizona Cardinals owner
- Steve Keim – Arizona Cardinals general manager
- Patrick Peterson – Arizona Cardinals teammate
- Terrell Owens – Cincinnati Bengals teammate
- Frostee Rucker – USC, Cincinnati Bengals & Arizona Cardinals teammate
- Norm Chow – Former USC offensive coordinator
Below are some select quotes from Carson Palmer: A Football Life:
- ”Not everybody gets to win the Super Bowl. The adversity I went through I wouldn’t change because it’s made me who I am.” – Carson Palmer
- ”It drives him crazy to see selfish people; selfish quarterbacks drive him up a wall. He doesn’t want the limelight, he doesn’t want the spotlight – he doesn’t ever want it to be about him.” – Jon Kitna
- ”I think he had an absolute, Hall of Fame, extraordinary career. He stood out.” – Pete Carroll
- ”He was a grinder. Like a blue-collar guy. Completely bucked the trend that I thought I was going to see.” – Larry Fitzgerald
- ”It’s kind of like I had gone to USC at a time when they were down – I’ll go change that atmosphere, I’ll go change that environment, is what I thought.” – Carson Palmer on being drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals
- ”From my aspect, I thought he was very patient. From our aspect, it was difficult because he was so doggone talented.” – Marvin Lewis on not playing Carson Palmer his entire rookie season
- ”A young person who wants to go out and learn how to throw a football, you watch all of his film because it’s effortless.” – Bruce Arians
How to watch ’Carson Palmer: A Football Life’
When: Friday, September 14 at 8:00 p.m. ET.
TV Channel: NFL Network
Streaming: NFL app and via Watch NFL Network on smartphones, tablets, PCs and connected TV devices (Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, PlayStation 4 and Roku).