1) Cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick may miss Sunday’s game against Atlanta. According to the team’s injury report, Kirkpatrick missed Thursday’s practice with a back/groin. He was limited on Wednesday with a groin, so the “back” inclusion is new. The Cincinnati Enquirer writes that he’ll be out — they reference historical instances when players didn’t practice on Thursday, not any official pronouncement.
2) A.J. Green appears to be playing Sunday. On the other hand, Green, who was limited on Wednesday with a pelvis injury, was a full participant Thursday. Obviously, this increases the likelihood that he’ll play on Sunday — a welcome update.
3) Joe Mixon is getting closer. Running back Joe Mixon told reporters that his knee feels great and that he could play Sunday if medically cleared. Don’t expect it. Mixon spent practice on the rehab field Thursday, same as Wednesday. Running back Giovani Bernard figures to start and Thomas Rawls, signed last week, could make his debut as the team’s primary backup (though I’d like to see more out of Mark Walton, but I’m not a coach).
4) Center Billy Price shooting for Steelers week. Alternatively, center Billy Price is shooting for a Week 6 return — we’re not sure if that being Steelers week factored into his target date, but we’ll pretend it did, so “whodey!” He’ll reportedly be re-evaluated on Tuesday.
Bengals Week 4 Practice/Injury Report
To have with your chamomile tea (for your reading pleasure):
- Matt Minich looks back on Christian McCaffrey’s explosive plays and then reviews how the Bengals offense can “exploit the Falcons’ depleted offense.”
- John Sheeran offers five Bengals to watch against the Atlanta Falcons this weekend.
- More “Beating a Dead Mullet”, this time from ESPN’s Katherine Terrell who explores Tyler Eifert’s rejuvenation.
- The Mothership and Geoff Hobson talks Adolphus Washington with the dusting of an older Joey Bosa quote: “He has all the talent in the world, no 3-technique can pass rush like he can in college football.”
- The Enquirer examines Cincinnati’s poor defensive production on third downs, writing that Cincinnati has “allowed a 52 percent conversion rate through three games, the worst in the NFL and worst through the first three games in the Marvin Lewis Era.” Yea, we know. Not good.
- Laurel Pfahler with the Dayton Daily News talks about all of the Georgia connections this weekend — the game will played in Atlanta, Georgia.
One last thing:
For those who feel there's no cornerback on the Bengals worse than Dre Kirkpatrick (which is a really bad take) you might just find out how wrong you are on Sunday in Atlanta.— Rebecca Toback (@Rebecca_Toback) September 27, 2018
When I asked Dre Kirkpatrick this summer which games he was most looking forward to this year it was Pittsburgh and Atlanta... Now it seems he's in jeopardy of playing in ATL due to groin/back injuries https://t.co/yLl1CMwp9M pic.twitter.com/pvPZCyWsM5— Rebecca Toback (@Rebecca_Toback) September 27, 2018