It’s officially unofficial: Joe Burrow will be the Cincinnati Bengals’ next quarterback.
FOX19’s Jeremy Rauch reported Wednesday morning that the Bengals have already told Burrow he’ll be their pick at the top of the NFL Draft.
Here's the more info and some good info on how this unfolded: https://t.co/O4BBvagr1h— Jeremy Rauch (@FOX19Jeremy) April 22, 2020
This was not something that happened within the last few days. Rauch also says that Burrow was informed during their pre-draft video conferences that took place over the past several weeks.
That same source close to the situation said the Bengals informed Burrow of their intent to make him their top pick during extended conversations in recent weeks.
Earlier this month, Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer reported that the Bengals used as much time virtually talking to Burrow as possible. Sometime during all this, Burrow’s engagement with the Bengals began, and it’s been smooth sailing preparing for the draft ever since.
Shortly after that report surfaced, Zac Taylor went on The Dan Patrick Show and revealed “It doesn’t look” like they’d be trading down from the top spot.
From the very beginning of the draft process, simple logic pointed towards the Bengals locking in on Burrow. Yes, they were always going to be interested in the other top prospects like Chase Young and Justin Herbert, but Burrow has been at the top of their draft board for months now, and he has never been moved out of that spot.
All that’s left is for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to announce the pick from his basement.