From the Bengals perspective, the first round of the draft went as well as it possibly could have. The worst thing that happened to the Bengals all night was Patrick Queen going to the Ravens.
The Bengals dod lock down Joe Burrow, which was totally predictable, but a major win nonetheless.
After the first pick, the NFL kindly left a number of prospects for the Bengals to grab at number 33. Josh Jones, Denzel Mims, and Zach Baun are amazingly still on the board and are prime targets for Cincinnati. They probably thought only one of them would still be there; now they have the luxury of choosing one.
The first question is who will they choose. The second is whether or not they will trade back. They’ve done it three times in a row, so it’s not a stretch.
If the Bengals like Baun, they will keep their spot, since teams behind them also need that position filled. However, if the Bengals have an eye on Jones or Mims, they could trade back a few spots and wait for them to land there.
Or, it is possible the Bengals respect the talent at 33, and don’t want to risk another team swooping in and taking their pick. The first pick of the second round is basically a first round pick, so the Bengals may stick with it.
Now, here’s a mock projection of Round 2 of the NFL Draft:
33. Cincinnati Bengals: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
34. Indianapolis Colts (f/WAS): Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado
35. Detroit Lions: Zach Baun, EDGE, Wisconsin
36. NY Giants: Marlon Davidson, EDGE, Auburn
37. New England Patriots (f/LAC): A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
38. Carolina Panthers: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
39. Miami Dolphins: D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia
40. Houston Texans (f/ARI): Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU
41. Cleveland Browns: Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
42. Jacksonville Jaguars: Grant Delpit, S, LSU
43. Chicago Bears (f/LV): Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
44. Indianapolis Colts: Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
45. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State
46. Denver Broncos: Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU
47. Atlanta Falcons: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State
48. NY Jets: Michael Pittman Jr., WR, USC
49. Pittsburgh Steelers: Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M
50. Chicago Bears: Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota
51. Dallas Cowboys: Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU
52. LA Rams: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia
53. Philadelphia Eagles: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming
54. Buffalo Bills: Julian Okwara, EDGE, Notre Dame
55. Baltimore Ravens (f/NE via ATL): Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
56. Miami Dolphins (f/NO): Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois
57. LA Rams (f/HOU): Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State
58. Minnesota Vikings: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Miss State
59. Seattle Seahawks: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
60. Baltimore Ravens: Robert Hunt, G, Louisiana
61. Tennessee Titans: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma
62. Green Bay Packers: Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
63. Kansas City Chiefs (f/SF): Matt Hennessy, C, Temple
64. Seattle Seahawks (f/KC): K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State