After taking Jackson Carman in Round 2, the Bengals add another versatile lineman who can play tackle and guard. NFL.com gave Smith a Round 4 grade, so getting him at the end of Round 4 should be considered solid value.
The 6-5, 294-pound Smith started four games at left tackle and one at left guard during the 2017 season, then started every game at left tackle over the next two seasons.
In 2020, Smith began the season at left tackle but suffered an undisclosed injury that led to him eventually shutting it down. There were some medical red flags on him coming into the draft, but the Bengals felt he was worth taking a flyer on this late in the draft.
For what it’s worth, Smith reportedly had a strong showing at the 2021 Senior Bowl practices.
Bengals draft picks 2021
- Round 1, Pick No. 5: LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase
- Round 2, Pick No. 38: Clemson OL Jackson Carman
- Round 3, Pick No. 69: Texas LB Joseph Ossai
- Round 4, Pick No. 111 Tulane DE Cameron Sample
- Round 4, Pick No. 122 LSU DT Tyler Shelvin
- Round 4, Pick No. 139 ECU OL D’Ante Smith
- Round 5, Pick No. 149:
- Round 6, Pick No. 190
- Round 6, Pick No. 202
- Round 7, Pick No. 235
The Bengals’ remaining top draft needs are:
LB, TE, CB, K.
- NFL Draft Rounds 4-7
- When: Saturday, May 1
- Time: 12:00 pm ET
- TV: ABC, ESPN, and the NFL Network.
- Online Stream: NFL.com, WatchESPN and NFL Mobile.
- Radio: ESPN Radio
- NFL Draft Order
- Bengals Twitter List
- Best remaining players
- NFL Trade Tracker