There was some mystery as to how this offense may look after him. Would the weapons and coaches be able to lift Jake Browning up enough to keep this team afloat? The answer in Pittsburgh was a definitive no, but he will get another chance this week, facing off against Trevor Lawrence. This time as a massive underdog.
The Bengals are currently 8.5-point underdogs against the Jaguars, according to DraftKings Sportsbook. The point total is also set at 39, which is tied for the third-lowest total of the week.
It doesn’t take a fortune-teller to say that most oddsmakers and betters are going to believe in Jacksonville over a Burrow-less Bengals squad. The Bengals will get an offensive boost in the form of Tee Higgins returning from his three-game absence. It is still a matter of the offense getting going with Browning at quarterback with all these weapons around him.
- The Bengals are 2-3 on the road
- They are 4-6-1 against the spread
- Cincinnati has hit the over five out 11 games
- Games involving the Bengals have an average score total of 41.3
- The Jaguars are 3-3 at home
- They are 8-3 against the spread
- Jacksonville has hit the over five out of 11 games
- Games involving the Jaguars have an average score total of 43.5
- CBS Sports doesn’t have a single expert taking the Bengals
- No one at ESPN is taking Cincinnati either
- NFL Pick Watch, which takes into account picks from around the web, only has the Bengals getting 2% of the picks.
We all saw what a Browning-led offense looked like last week. If it wasn’t for a couple lucky-tipped passes, it would have been even worse. We saw glimpses of good offense, but we certainly need to see way more of that for this team to have a chance against the Jaguars.
It certainly does feel like, from the outside, this is an easy pick if you don’t try to overthink it. It is what's supposed to happen. However, we all know that isn’t how football always works. This team has had a week to stew after putting up a stinker against the Pittsburgh Steelers. There are plenty of really good players who still want to fight on this team, and Jacksonville may not be anticipating a street fight.
We will have to see, but here are our writers’ selections for this week.
This will also be our Sunday open thread, so come join the discussion!